Saturday, July 31, 2010

Desperately Seeking

Sometimes you search high and low for something only to find the thing you're seeking is right under your nose!

If you follow my blog, you know I've been looking in antique stores for just the right old typewriter for a loooong time. I almost bought one in Joplin on Friday, but those things are too heavy to ship home. So I had to pass until a time when I'm traveling by car. I swear -- next year I'm driving! Yesterday, I mentioned my search to my mother, a former typing teacher, and poof -- one was revealed! It had been right under my nose all these years!

This one is the nicest one I've seen! Almost mint except it needs a new ribbon.

My mom's linen closet -- bottom shelf.

Here's the story. A great uncle was a business professor at OSU in Stillwater. He actually had his own little museum in his basement full of memorabilia from his life. He and my grandfather at one time had run a business college. When my great aunt and uncle died, my parents and aunt cleaned out their house since they had no children. And the old typewriter ended up on the bottom shelf in the linen closet. When I first looked at it, I thought it was the typewriter that sat on my grandmother's dining room table, but when I saw the Stillwater Typewriter Co. cover, I knew my mother was right about its origin.


Dibs!!! (I WILL be driving next year!)

6 comments:

Sue said...

I can see the collecting thing runs in the family. Glad you found it!

Moongrl722 said...

That's so cool. It's beautiful and in great condition. And from Stilly?! Awesome. I love the phone number printed on it has only 5 digits. I remember on campus you could call someone on campus and only dial the last four digits because they were all the same exchange.
I also remember when people used letters for the first two digits. Our phone number began with NA7, but that's all I remember.

Life's a Beach! said...

Jana, I suspect that cover is from a different era than the typewriter. In my little town, our phone numbers were 3 digits up until sometime in the 60's. Sue, I'm probably the biggest nut about collecting, but my uncle's museum was something else!

couzin frank said...

Awww....Bec I'll go pick it up and hold on to it for you. I even know a short-cut!

You kids are just wee lassies...how about..2long/2short rings on Party lines.:)

Life's a Beach! said...

Frank, you go pick it up and I'll meet you in Amarillo!

Vee said...

That typewriter is a beauty, Beck! What a great find. Congratulations!