Friday, July 30, 2010

More Snaps from the Whirlwind Roadtrip


I'm sitting here at the Independence Library writing this post under the supervision of the guard cat. She's very serious about her duties. When I started to take this photo, she swiped at my camera and yelled -- no pictures, no pictures! (But she obviously doesn't know who she's dealing with!) Geez, I just realized this cat looks like Tonces, my crazy convertible driving avatar!

My friend Judy and I had a lot of fun this past weekend on our whirlwind roadtrip around Southeast Kansas. Her sister Jill accompanied us on Day 1 to Joplin, but I think we truly wore her out! Saturday, we antiqued our way through Chetopa, Kansas (our arch rival in high school) and Coffeyville. I was shocked that Coffeyville really has a lot of stuff! We were too busy shopping to snap very many photos, but here are some odds and ends from Saturday's tour.


Jar of stink?


Old kitchen stuff.


Grandma had flour and sugar tins like these.


Cool All bucket!


Oh gosh. I think I accidentally consumed some Amish coconut cream pie that day!



Little soda fountain/lunch shop in Coffeyville, Kansas -- home of the Amish pies.

My alma mater, Oswego High School. My brother used to drop me off in front. He refused to actually stop the car, so I had to roll out of it as he glided by. Oh Brother!


One of the old historic buildings in downtown Oswego. I think they should turn the entire town into an antique destination so I don't have to do as much driving next year! Maybe I should bring a load with me and have a yard sale at Woodgate!

I wonder if this pool hall is exclusively for chicks, or if some guy nicknamed Chick in Coffeyville, Kansas owns it?

Extremely strange sculpture art garden in Coffeyville, Kansas. Makes the metal sculptures at Punta Sur on Isla look quite lovely!

Remember Mode O'Day?


Tiny house in Scammon, Kansas.

Big ole plate of spaghetti and meatballs consumed at Josie's in Scammon.

Grandma Bowman's house in Oswego, Kansas. It looks the same except for the recent model car and the two trees blocking my view of the front of the house.


Mural of early Oswego with the Osage Indian village and the trader John Matthew's house.


Oswego Library where I spent my formative grade school years reading all those teen love novels! I was so sad when I completely read through all those shelves and actually had to move on to biographies. I think the librarian, Mrs. Potter, led me over there with a rope around my neck. I remember her suggesting that I really should move on to better books.

My biggest regret is that we were unable to locate a sign in Hallowell, Kansas to photograph it. The sign, Tig Ole Bitties, used to stand at the now closed local strip bar. Dang! We think God fearing vigilantes may have torn it down. (Or maybe the wind blew it away?)

I'll be flying home later today after Judy and I do another antique tour here in the Tulsa area. Another fun chapter in the adventures we've had over the years. Hopefully, I'll be back next summer and we can do it all over again! : )


9 comments:

Vee said...

Lots of fun memories, Beck. Enjoyed the tour. I remember reading all of the biographies in the elementary school library, too.

Sue said...

I would be worn out with all that browsing and shopping too - I just enjoy letting you do it and looking at your pictures! But the food browsing, yeah - I could do that...the spaghetti looks yummy (but as I often find out, it looks better than it tastes (spaghetti snob here) - was it good?

Isla Deb said...

What a fun place...antiques galore! That coconut cream pie looks delish!

Ann said...

Looks like a fun trip! I grew up in a city--suburb of Boston--and I think I missed not being in a small town.

drgeo said...

Stay away from that pool hall, young lady!
Friends, lemme tell you what I mean.
Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table.
Pockets that mark the diff'rence
Between a gentlemen and a bum,
With a capital "B,"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!
And all week long your River City
Youth'll be frittern away,
I say your young men'll be frittern!
Frittern away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too!
Get the ball in the pocket,
Never mind gittin' Dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beefsteak pounded.
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the Cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble,
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers,
Shirt-tail young ones, peekin' in the pool
Hall window after school, look, folks!
Right here in River City.
Trouble with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, I think I read through most of the small library. Sue, I am very tired. I just realized I was only home about five days in July, so I'm really glad to be back! And that spaghetti was fairly good, but the best is at a place called the Brothers Railroad Inn in Independence, Kansas! Deb, my diet was basically chicken salad sandwiches, spaghetti, and coconut cream pie. Ann, I am glad I experienced growing up in a small town. And drgeo -- ha! I never went in the pool hall in my little hometown. It was definitely off limits for girls! My bet's on a guy named Chick owning the pool hall.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great narrative of our trip Becky. I have a print of the Indian village mural in my office at work and I tell people it's my home town. That get's some odd first looks. lol

Life's a Beach! said...

Judy, I had so much fun! When we get together, it's like we just saw each other yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I bet if they changed the name of that candle they'd sell more of them!

Bwaaahaaahaahaahaaaa!!!

Linda
Isla Chica