Friday, July 16, 2010

Food -- Some Old Favorites!

Isla has so much fantastic food! I'm not even sure where to start with this post, but I'll take a stab at it.

A lot of my old favorites, like French Bistro, were consistently closed on this trip, but so many others were open for business! I was there fifteen days and didn't even get close to eating at all the restaurants I was craving. Never made it to Mama Rosa's and Bamboo, only ate at Sancocho's once, and didn't get to try Bobo's, La Luna, and a lot of others. But I did manage to get back to some old favorites! I already wrote about La Lomita, so I won't revisit those enchilada suizas again. Just looking at those photos puts five pounds on me!

One afternoon, we decided to give Brisas Grill on the waterfront another try. Truthfully, the last time we ate there a few years ago we thought it was overpriced and not that great. What were we thinking! We missed eating here in October/November!




Craig and I both ordered the shrimp tacos and oh my is right! OMG they were fantastic!

I actually worried when I saw them that I'd have problems because in the past I've had allergic reactions to grilled onions and peppers, but they smelled so good I decided what the heck! No problema! The only problem is that I only ate them once on this trip!

We returned another evening to Brisas with a friend and ate on the beach with our toes in the sand. I ordered shrimp kabobs that night and they were fantastic too. I scarfed those so quickly, I didn't get a pic. Another day at noon when I was waiting for Craig to return from his whaleshark trip, I stopped by and had the Shrimp Caesar. I really need to quit talking about all that shrimp because I'm craving it now!


On the day the unnamed tropical wave blew through, we sought refuge at Mocambo and drowned our sorrows in some of our favorite food!






The fancy palapa decor was airborne!

And the drinks and little boat needed bailing!

After huddling for almost two hours with other refugees in our ponchos, it was impolite not to order more! : ) Here's an order of flan that we split!

We rarely eat breakfast out, but an old time favorite is Alex and Giovanni's at the market. One morning after plundering below the malecon for seaglass finds, we headed there for a hearty breakfast. We ran into some good friends and that made breakfast even better. Unfortunately, I forgot what I was doing and almost woofed down half my omelet mixto before I remembered to snap the photo. Definitely the best omelet this trip!

Omelet Mixto


The cooks responsible for A & G's great food!

We made a second and third trip back to The Mango Cafe. I won't tempt you with the West Indian Chicken Tacos again, but here's Craig's order of Eggs Benedict and some Chicken Quesadillas with Chipotle Sauce from our last visit. I came to the conclusion that anything and everything at the Mango is great, including the decor!

Love to take this painting home with me!

And this serape!

My chicken quesadillas in chipotle sauce.


Eggs Benedict ala Mango


One of my all time favorite places to eat on Hidalgo is the Cuban place across from Angelo's. I call it Victor's, but it's actually Viva con Cuba Libre. This trip, I ordered the Cuban fish and it was delicioso, as usual.


I finally noticed the wall collages while I was waiting on my fish. Cool stuff!

The fish in Cuban sauce -- delicioso!

La Bruja was a natural this trip since we were staying out in La Gloria for a week. We ate there at least two times. I never remembered to take my camera which is weird for me, but I did manage to get a cellphone photo of the sopa de lima. And the photo does not do it justice! I crave it so much I can't wait until Jana's LGES cookbook comes out. Their sopa de lima and enchiladas suizas -- both to die for!


Okay, I HAVE to quit now because I'm starving after revisiting all this wonderful food! As a friend of mine on Facebook recently said -- reality bites! Wouldn't it be wonderful if the guy from La Bruja would hop on his little motorcycle and deliver me an order of enchilada suizas or sopa de lima right now! Yummmmm!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK now I'm dying for some isla food any isla food! Loved the on the scene reporting and all your wonderful photos Bec. I would love to see some pics of what you do with all your sea glass, I have a couple bags and am trying to think of something unique to make, althought I am not a crafty person! I do have some in a vase with water and a plant growing in it. Karen in OH

drgeo said...

Craig swam with whale sharks and took no photos? boo hoo!

Life's a Beach! said...

drgeo, Craig had a cheap underwater camera and the photos are being developed now someplace far away. Old school! Can't wait to see if any of the photos come out!

Karen, I arrange my seaglass in bowls and trays around the house. If I get to it in the next few days, I'm going to try and make a stepping stone mosaic with seaglass and shells to put on my aunt's grave. Hopefully, I'll get the energy on the weekend to go after it since I leave on Thursday.

By the way, we also saw the mantas jumping on the Caribe side, but didn't get any photos of that either. Dang it!