Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Morning Walk Through La Gloria

Craig and I's time in La Gloria is flying by and I hate the thought of leaving. We took a long walk around the neighborhood this morning, and I snapped some photos along the way. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate tomorrow morning so we can take another walk and discover more. We've mostly eaten out of town since moving here. La Bruja three times, the Mango once, and Seso Loco. We get fruit from a little shop about two blocks away, and the new Supermercado is just a short walk. Today we discovered the mercado, a local lavanderia, and the corner bakery. Those rolls and cookies are to die for! We're combing the local beaches for seaglass, but my favorite spots are still to the north. Hopefully this tropical wave will be gone sometime tomorrow and we can resume our exploring!


Quaint gate and entry.



Calm neighborhood pooch.

Pink vinca peeking out of the rocks.

Statue in the park by the lagoon.

Altar at the neighborhood mercado.

Yellow gate, gorgeous flowering shrubs, and blue door! I'm in love!


The local shop where I buy our morning mixed fruit!

Roof dog! And he, of course, scared the h-e-l-l out of me when I walked below him!


Charming wall and flowers.

I love anything blue, so the neighborhood comida and sign caught my eye.

Pretty old blue gate with a rustic trike.

This newsstand in the La Gloria market has all kinds of materials!


Mercado meat shop.

We were finally around tonight to go to the neighborhood bakery. WOW! A whole bag of goodies for 28 pesos. The hands down best baked goods I've had in Mexico!

Quaint window with lace curtains.


Sue will need to name this fruit. A nice little woman was grabbing up all of these. I managed to snap a photo before she picked the last one.

British ruellias against a blue block wall. We have these plants in our yard at home.

I'm amazed at the street names since the entire island is now signed.

Neighborhood shoe store.


To be continued later!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Love all the blue! I would really like to hear more about the mercado. Did you take more pictures of it? How many vendors are there, and what is it close to? I think it's on the Mapchick map, so maybe we can find it next time.

Vee said...

Thanks for the tour, Beck! How much more time do you have in the 'hood?

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, we move Friday morning. Nancy, I'll try and get back over there and take more photos. Craig gets nervous when I'm taking pics and people are staring at me. LOL I told him to get over it! It took me years to get up the nerve, so he's not spoiling it for me now. I don't take photos of kids, etc..., but meat markets and fruit stands are fair game!

Sue said...

Beck, the fruit is called Pitaya, I blogged about it once: http://dentrodeljardin.blogspot.com/2009/05/tropical-fruit.html

Glad you discovered the mercado. Give the loncheria in there a try for breakfast - good food and inexpensive.

We shop first at the mercado for fresh chicken, fruit, veggies, juice, and tortillas, and what we couldn't find there, then we go to the super. Although now that I'm making breaded chicken breasts, I buy that at the chicken place along the road - the guy at the market doesn't want to slice the breast meat, and the meat at the super isn't always fresh.

I think now that the super is in La Gloria, it's a great place for tourists to discover some of the culture and prepare some of their own food.

Laura said...

I love all of your photos! and I don't think I told you how much I love the look of this blog.

Nancy said...

I haven't gotten the nerve yet. Not that I don't look like a tourist anyway, but I hesitate to take pictures of houses, and I would LOVE to take pics in the mercado and stores but I haven't yet.

I wish I could get my husband to try out more than one lodging while we're there. He won't do progressive dinners either. He doesn't mind progressive drinking though, LOL.

couzin frank said...

Enjoyed the pictorial tour....some of them From a friends neighborhood. I've met the dog! And yes he scared the h... out of me also. :)