Monday, March 29, 2010

Beads and Baubles

A few weeks ago, I got an email notice that Beads Galore was having one of their big sales. I needed a few items, so I decided to head on down and do some browsing. The place was packed! I noticed an entire wall of trade beads that were absolutely stunning! I wish I'd had my camera with me, but I did get a few blurry shots with the cellphone.

These are Masai beads. A woman kept asking me what Masai beads are, and I kept telling her the Masai are a tribe in Africa. Then I heard her asking a sales clerk and she got the same response. The colors just blew me away. I found some small turquoise colored beads that I decided would be about the right size for a beaded safety pin watchband.

Once I get started on a little project, I'm like a rat terrier with a bone. These are so easy to make! I also used some smaller ethnic looking seed beads that blended with the turquoise color.

After threading the beads onto safety pins, I simply take a set of small pliers and crimp the fastener so the safety pins won't spring open and cause a bead explosion.

Then I thread stretchy jewelry cord (1 mm) through the holes on both ends of the safety pins, alternating tops and bottoms of the pins. I found the large watch faces at Steinmart and cut off the cheap vinyl watchbands.

Here's the finished project! I love how this one turned out!



5 comments:

Jamqueen said...

Those colors are beautiful! Thanks for the lesson on how you make the watch band--I had wondered--it's much simpler than I thought--I think even I could do it!

Jane said...

Wonderful step-by-step. May try to do one (or more) myself. Thank you!

Vee said...

Hmmm...another comment missing. I usually read blogs first thing in the morning when I get to work. Guess those posts aren't getting through. I enjoyed this how-to, Beck!

Life's a Beach! said...

I just got an email that the bead place is having another sale on Friday. I might have to swing by after work? : ) Jane and Ann, it's really easy. You can also just google safety pin watchbands and find more in-depth tutorials. That's how I figured it out.

And Vee, there was something wrong with Blogger/Google this morning because I couldn't access the comments before work.

Betty said...

Be it Beaded Lanyards, Beading Watch Faces, Beaded Watches, Bangle Watches, Narmi Watch Faces Or Watch Faces For Beading, and much more are available at Sarah Whole Sale. Your one stop-shop for all your fashion needs!