Monday, January 11, 2010

Slim Pickins

Sounds like a Country Western singer, doesn't it? But no, it's not. I'm referring to the amount of seaglass we found on our Southern California trip. From five days of beachcombing the beaches listed on some of the seaglass blogs, this is what we found! And when I say beachcombing, I mean it. We spent in excess of an hour and a half with both of us looking at each location. Paltry pickins! We were really disappointed. For anyone who hunts seaglass on Isla Mujeres, this wouldn't even be a decent take for an hour hunt on Playa Media Luna, much less five days of beachcombing.


At the end of our quest on our last day at the beach on Coronado Island, we were headed back to the car. Actually, we were lost and trying to figure out where we'd entered the beach. Suddenly, Craig spotted this thing rolling in on the waves. He waited until the tide went out and retrieved it.


A big turbo shell! Dead shell, no animal inside. A great way to end five days of beachcombing. The thing measures about 5 by 5 inches. I think my beachcombing angel was giving me a little present! Actually, I think I know who that angel might be! ; )

P.S. I need to put a little disclaimer to let people know we were not in a protected area when we found this!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice find on the shell!

Does it matter if it's a "protected" area if you're only taking old shells?

Linda
IC

Moongrl722 said...

Nice weathered shell. It's amazing that you didn't find more sea glass!

Ann said...

Slim Pickens was a western movie "star" from Wikipedia--
Louis Burton Lindley, Jr. (June 29, 1919 – December 8, 1983), better known by the stage name Slim Pickens, was an American rodeo performer and film and television actor who epitomized the profane, tough, sardonic cowboy, but who is best remembered for his comic roles, notably in Dr. Strangelove, 1941 and Blazing Saddles.

Love the big shell!

Life's a Beach! said...

Linda,in California, there are signs in certain areas that designate the area as protected and tell you to remove nothing. If I found seaglass there, I would consider that beach trash, but not the dead shells.

Jana, I was a little shocked not to find seaglass. There was plenty of sea plastic, but I think California has had pretty stiff environmental rules for a long time as far as not dumping stuff into the ocean. Maybe that's why it's pretty limited. I've heard of beaches in Northern California that have a lot, but we didn't see much down around San Diego. I think Isla is a treasure trove because Mexico doesn't have the stiff rules. That and cruise ships are probably routinely dumped stuff out in the Yucatan Channel? Isla's amazing!

Ann, thanks for the info! I thought it sounded familiar. I'll probably have hits now from all over the place with that title!

Isla Deb said...

I collected some sea glass while I was on Isla...not much...about as much as you got in California. But it was my first time, so I wasn't sure what I was really looking for. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with it, but at least I have it! Ha!

Life's a Beach! said...

Deb, after getting that seaglass book, I've learned a lot. Craig picked up a large black piece that I didn't even want to bring home. He insisted. According to the book, black is rare! Some of those pieces I picked up in California aren't as tumbled as what I'd normally keep and would have been throwbacks on Isla.

Mermaids Purse said...

So unfortunate you didn't find what you had hoped for and expected in sea glass. Living in Southern California and being a sea glass collector the GOOD places are not the ones noted on most blogs and internet articles. Next time you are in our are I'd be happy to take you sea glass hunting. Low tides, high tides and full moon are a big part of success. Good Luck on your next adventure. Fair Winds and Calm Seas, Deborah Leon www.mermaidspurseseaglass.com

Life's a Beach! said...

Deborah, I figured it's there somewhere! If I ever come your way again, I'll contact you! : )

Bennie said...

I had never heard of Sea Glass until your blog. I should have tried to find some on Isla but I'm sure I would have picked up something wrong.

Cool Shell.