Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy Feet!


Actually, I'm not sure whether to call this post happy feet or stinky feet! Michael got home from the Bob Hope Classic in Palm Springs last night and surprised me with a new pair of sandals. They fit perfectly! They're actually a replacement pair for the originals that met a stinky fate on Isla Mujeres in November.

I don't think I've told this story on my blog because it's a little embarrassing. The last week of my trip to Isla in November was extremely rainy, so I was constantly wading through flooded streets. Some people actually took shoes off and walked barefoot, but there's no WAY I was doing that. I was trying to keep my birthday sandals, Ghandia's by Ecco, nice because they were brand new. I soon discovered after wearing them one evening that they were so much more comfortable than my other walking sandals (also a gift from that wonderful son of mine), so they became my walking sandals. The other pair was relegated to the status of beach explorers. After my first few wades through flooded calles during the second week, I gave up on keeping my new sandals pristine and decided they'd probably wash up just fine when I got home.

Anyway, long story short, the morning Ida hit, a wonderful man came to the Rocamar in a white pickup truck to rescue me, my bags, and my sandals and take me to Media Luna. As the two men wrangled with getting my large duffle into the bed of the pickup, I got into the cab. I thought to myself, Wow, this pickup is kind of smelly. I wonder if there's some fish bait in here under the seat. But I was so relieved to be rescued from my situation by a guy who spoke English and quickly informed me on the current status of the hurricane (I'd had no updates since the night before) that I didn't give the smell a second thought. My hero quickly navigated the streets over to Media Luna and helped me with my bags into the lobby. Once I got into my new hotel room -- sniff, sniff -- there was that smell again. Well, that's kind of funky! Then it suddenly dawned on me. It was my feet! Specifically my brand new sandals!

I was a little horrified thinking that my rescuer had to have noted the smell and thought my last bath had been about a week ago. OMG! I soaked, soaped, and scrubbed those shoes in the bathroom at Media Luna, but they still stunk! After soaking them some more, I decided they were acceptable if I wasn't in a confined space. I debated whether to risk wearing them home on an airplane and decided to flip flop through the airport in Croc thongs instead.

But I still cringe when I think what that man in the white pickup truck must have been thinking!

Anyway, Michael to the rescue! The original pair were my normal size, but a little big. So I now have a brand new pair that fit perfectly. Incident forgotten (but maybe not)! : )

6 comments:

Chrissy y Keith said...

they look comfy. I still have my 17 year old Tevas. I think it probably time to start thinking abot a replacement. I do love my platform Crocs, but those are more sress wear than beach zapata playas.

Vee said...

I really like your new sandals, Beck! Are they the same style as your old ones? That's a funny story. I had a pair of sandals that got really stinky after awhile, too, just from regular wear. Depends on how they're made and materials used, I guess. Hope your new pair stays fresh as a daisy! (Such an odd phrase)

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, I really think the stink came from the flooded streets on Isla and them not drying out for days on end? Hopefully, these will stay nicer. Michael gets them at the Ecco Outlet in Palm Springs, so he still gets his company discount off the outlet price making them cheap!

Chrissy, that has to be a record! My feet have grown (probably spread out from extra weight) in the last five years, so I'm even a different size. Since Michael's started working for Ecco, I haven't bought any other shoes because he gets such good deals on them.

Anonymous said...

Try soaking the old ones in full strength vinegar. Worth a shot!

Linda
Isla Chica

Life's a Beach! said...

Linda, I soaked the old ones in Oxyclean, and they're much better smell-wise. But they don't look so good now. They'll be my neighborhood walking shoes in a few months!

Isla Deb said...

Haha! Funny story, Beck. I would have been embarrassed, too. Oh, well...stuff happens. Your new sandals look great.