Friday, January 8, 2010

Coastal Gardening Inspiration

The Southern California landscape is basically the same tropical flora we plant here in Arizona, but the climate there allows all that vegetation to thrive! Here in Arizona, the landscaping looks a little torched in the winter because of the cold overnight low's. And it's too hot in the summer to get that lush effect! Right now, a lot of the flowering shrubs are droopy and sad. The bouganvilleas have been frozen and the foliage is dropping. What I saw in California made me want to dump mass amounts of fertilizer on everything in my yard, but I know it's the wrong time of year. Bummer! Oh well, the cold snaps will be over in another month or so.

Wish these photos were from my backyard, but they're California.

More of that gorgeous blooming aloe.


Birds of paradise blooming in the winter!



A garden shop.


Gorgeous poinsettias.



I'd love to have this fountain on my patio!



Or this one!


Succulent garden.

Love these big tubs of greenery!



Wish my hibiscus looked like this in winter!





This photo makes me want to buy a talavera planter and paint a wall red!

5 comments:

Isla Deb said...

What a gorgeous garden! I would love to have that talavera fountain. Beautiful pictures, Beck.

jeanie said...

Beautiful Beck especially the fountain. None of that lovely vegetation would grow here.

Vee said...

Another one who loves the talavera fountain. Actually, I like just about anything talavera! Great pics, Beck.

Anonymous said...

Ditto here! I love both those fountains!

Linda
Isla Chica

Bennie said...

I love the fountains. I'd be happy to have them on my patio too.