Thursday, June 11, 2009

Roadside Shrine

Sometimes in Arizona, I feel like I'm in Mexico. Actually, I guess most of it was Mexico until the mid-1800's (and claimed by Spain before that), so that's an easy explanation for the cultural similarities.

On our roadtrip to Globe several weeks ago, we came upon this little roadside chapel/shrine. I made Craig stop so I could take some photos. I think it was probably decorated especially for Memorial Day because there were many lit candles and photos of loved ones.



I'm not Catholic, but sometimes I think I missed my calling! I love all the shrines, symbolism, candles, and ritual. Here's the Catholic Church in Miami, Arizona. It also reminds me of Mexico!


(I think it's definitely time for a trip south of the border!)

5 comments:

Vee said...

Wow - that was on the side of the road? Glad you stopped for a photo.

jeanie said...

That is truly incredible. Thanks for sharing it with us Beck and thank Craig for stopping. A Must See!

Isla Deb said...

Wow...that really does remind me of the shrines in Mexico. Good shooting!

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks everyone! I still have so much to explore here in Arizona!

Chrissy y Keith said...

We are heading south to the border in the morning, just a quick drive down to San Carlos. We found a nice room in Guayams for only 44 buck per night. We are meeting up with some other bloggers that live in the area and hanging out at the beach.