Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where Were You?



Many of us remember exactly where we were on July 20, 1969 when man first walked on the moon -- the same way we remember exactly where we were when we found out JFK had died. Of course, I also know that some of you weren't born yet, so it probably seems like ancient history to you.

I was in Manhattan, Kansas on a family trip staying at the Ramada Inn next to the campus. My brother was going through K-State orientation with my parents, and I spent the day sitting at the pool working on my tan, amazed that soldiers from Fort Riley were trying to flirt with me. I was 15 and shocked to have that kind of attention! One even gave me a room key. I took it, never used it, and saved it in my desk drawer as a souvenir! (And of course I didn't tell my parents!) That night, we sat by the television in the motel room and watched the moonwalk. Here's the Wikipedia background on Apollo 11. We all remember Armstrong's famous words as he placed his left foot on the surface of the moon: That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

I'd swear that evening we also went to Aggieville and watched The Graduate. But that movie was released in 1967? I don't think it took that long to get to Kansas! Maybe they were showing older movies? It's plausible that my memory's correct because back then, I doubt my parents would have let me watch that movie at the age of 13 (in 1967)!

Anyway, where were you?

And now, Walter Cronkite, the man who reported the moonwalk, is dead. Kind of interesting that he died this weekend on the run up to the 40th anniversary of the first man on the moon!


6 comments:

Ann said...

That summer I worked in an electronics factory putting together circuit boards for phones. The one thing I remeber is that 2 of the girls that were on my line ( they worked there full time--I was only there for the summer then back to college) were going to Woodstock....At the time we didn't know any more than it was to be a music festival....

Chrissy y Keith said...

We were living in California. I was 6 years old. I dont recall much about the event other than all the adults huddled around the TV. I probably went out and played in my blow-up pool.

barb at lake chapala, mexico said...

i was living and working in hawaii. we got to see the landing during the daytime because of the time difference.

i think the folks i watched it with all thought that it wasn't really "real." haleakala crater on maui looked much the same as the surface of the moon, and we figured it was just shots from there. (hey, it was the '60s and we were all doing massive drugs!)

Life's a Beach! said...

Barb -- LMAO!!! Ann, I'm not sure I knew about Woodstock until the next year! LOL A college guy I dated was talking about an older fraternity brother who'd gone to Woodstock. They all thought the guy was so cool (Actually, I did too, but for different reasons. He was a hunk of burnin' love with the coolest Corvette!). And Chrissy, I love your last line. I probably went out and played in my blowup pool. LOL!

I wasn't all that into watching the moonwalk. I was still thinking about those soldiers who'd given me the room key! HA!

Bennie said...

I was very young (5) at the time. We were in Amite, LA. My cousins were down from Memphis visiting us when we watched the first man on the moon. On a Black and White TV.

Islagringo said...

It doesn't matter where I was. I am one of those who firmly believe the whole thing was one giant hoax played on the American public for political reasons.