Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pot of Dirt!


We haven't had any rain to speak of around here yet, but I've seen some nice dirt storm rainbows! Somehow, I don't think those are the rainbows Jason Mraz is singing about in his song! There's probably just a pot of dirt at the end of these rainbows! The last two nights, we've had dirt storms. The sky turns purple with spectacular lightning, looks like all hell is going to break loose, and then the wall of dirt moves in. The haboob. I'm including this Wikipedia link because I know some of my friends think I created that exotic (yet funny) word! Notice the picture of the Awatukee haboob in the link -- that's a Phoenix suburb to the west of us.

I caught this dirt storm rainbow last week when I was out on evening patrol on the bike.

This one was taken several weeks ago from our backyard just as the haboob was hitting. Once again, the pot of dirt at the end of the rainbow! And it's a double rainbow!

I've officially tracked the end of the rainbow and its pot of dirt to this lovely ramshackle homestead east of our suburban neighborhood! Too bad they don't find a pot of gold and beautify (or sell!) their hacienda.

Pray for rain! I'm going crazy for rain!


3 comments:

Ann said...

I know we keep saying this, but I'd be happy to send you some! At least ours has cut back to just heavy showers lasting an hour or 2 & mostly at night!

Chrissy y Keith said...

You beat me to it! I was going to Blog about our Haboobs. We thought we would get some rain last night too, some parts of Phoenix did. But only dirt here in Scottsdale.

Life's a Beach! said...

Well, we're getting it now! Woo hoooo! Don't know about Scottsdale, but we're getting pounded. At last!