Friday, July 17, 2009

Only Two Bucks!

I used to be slightly righteous about avoiding Walmart, but I don't feel like I can afford to stand on principle anymore since the economy's tanked. Yesterday I was in Walmart and I couldn't believe it. This huge thing was only 2 bucks!

All that and a bag of chips -- well not the chips -- but I couldn't believe the size of this watermelon for $2. I think it's the biggest one I've bought in years! I usually buy the little ones because they're so dang expensive a pound! I thought it would probably be overripe, but it's actually quite good! I had to cut the thing into bite size chunks and store it in multiple containers because it wouldn't fit into the fridge otherwise!

This watermelon reminds me of the county fair when I was a kid. Some organization (can't remember which one) would sell raffle tickets for a huge watermelon -- a gigantic freak of nature thing that they had on display. One year my dad won it! My parents had all their friends over that night for watermelon.

I also remember that night vividly because I'd ridden the Tilt-a-Whirl earlier and wasn't up to eating anything! In fact . . . . I'll just let you imagine the rest of the story!

6 comments:

Vee said...

I love watermelon for breakfast. I'd never thought to eat it in the morning until I began going to Isla, where it's a prominent part of any fruit plate. Yum!

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, I wonder if I could get that watermelon in the Isla supermercado for $2? I know I've gotten pineapples for a dollar!

Anonymous said...

When I saw you're link, at first I thought it was Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo5GcYeh7XA

Linda

Chrissy y Keith said...

The produce prices here in Arizona have been great in this last week.

Isla Deb said...

Wow...that's a deal...and a beauty! Like Vee said...hope to be enjoying watermelons for breakfast next week on Isla. Wish all you guys were coming with me!

Life's a Beach! said...

Chrissy, I've noticed the same thing! Even Washington State cherries are cheap right now (compared to what we paid in Washington)!

Linda, I've heard that song forever, but never realized it was Watermelon Man.

And Deb, I wish I was coming too! All the fruit tastes wonderful on Isla. I can't wait until late October. I NEED a vacation!