Monday, July 27, 2009

Isla 2004

I can't get Isla off my mind since I finally have another trip planned. I was thinking about my October/November trip in 2004 and how the island seemed quieter and more innocent then. Or maybe it was because I saw Isla through a different set of glasses? That was my first solo trip to the island, so that probably also influenced my perceptions. I split my time between Color de Verano, where I was up early to watch the streets come alive, and Hotel Media Luna, where I had lots of times to lie in the hammock and listen to the waves crash. Here are a few photos from that trip that now seems so long ago!

Hammock Meditations

Media Luna Lifeguard Palapa




Cemetery View before Ixchel


Crucifix on Cemetery Gate



Color de Verano


The Old Caribbean Queen



Egrets on the Colonia Lagoon


Playa Norte Lifeguard Palapa



The Beach Girls




7 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful photos! I remember our 1st trip --only 8 or 9 years ago & all that has changed since, too.....but some for the better--like sponsoring & meeting our "goddaughter" Gaby.

Sue said...

Isla has changed a lot in 5 years, some for the better, but some that has taken away a bit its charm. Every time I see a new construction site I feel like the island is being raped once again. Thanks for sharing those pictures, hard to remember exactly when all the new construction happened - I think it was in 2005, around the time of Wilma.

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, I think Ixchel I was just being finished when Wilma hit, and it was all downhill (or uphill depending on your perspective) from there. I think people ran to the island to get a 'deal'. I remember being on Playa Norte in December 2005 and meeting three different people in a half hour who were looking for property or homes. Funny how that works!

Ann, I think our first trip was in 2001 or 2002. I can't even remember now. I just remember it being much slower.

Moongrl722 said...

It was pretty slow when we were there earlier this month. Seriously...Playa Norte was vacant. I've decided that I will just have to roll with the changes, altho I get a little nostalgic looking at my older Isla pics sometimes. sigh...I was so young then. LOL

MD in Texas said...

2004! That was our first visit to Isla (not counting when I went on a day trip back in 1980).

LOVE the pictures, as always....

Life's a Beach! said...

Jana, I hate to say it, but I'm hoping for slow in late October. It's almost always fairly slow that time of year anyway. And unfortunately, I wasn't even young on my first trip to Isla! Maybe 46(which seems REALLY young now)! And Donna, I'm hoping for some excellent photos of that cemetery from the opposite direction in October! Can't wait! : )

Vee said...

I first went in 1999. My how the island has changed. I wasn't so young, either. I went for my 45th birthday.

I had to laugh when Javi posted "Tin Man" for his song of the day on FB today. During our first visit, some guy played the most god-awful version of that song. Kim (my sister) and I still laugh about it. Wish I knew where we were. Daniel's maybe?

Those were good times, for sure.