Monday, July 13, 2009

Melanie's Link

A lot of you know that this past year has been fairly hellacious for my family. In addition to the deaths of Craig's mother and one of my closest friends, my aunt, last June my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy and is doing well now. You just never think it's going to happen in your family.

Well, lightning didn't just strike once -- it happened twice! In February, my sister-in-law Melanie was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy in March and is now doing wonderfully. She has her final reconstruction surgery at the end of July.

I'm astounded at how well she's done! And get this! In addition to her having the double mastectomy, my brother had both of his knees replaced the morning after my aunt's memorial. He's up and around again, and both of them will be walking in the Kansas City Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on August 9!

Check out her fundraising link. She's got a ways to go. Every little bit helps! Wouldn't it be amazing if they found a cure for cancer in our lifetime! How the world would be changed if people no longer had to suffer through this!

http://www.active.com/donate/KC2009/kc2009MBowman


2 comments:

Sue said...

Your last sentence is a potent one - how wonderful it would be. I lost my mom to breast cancer, and a grandmother to lung cancer. It's not pretty, and it would be great to see that disease bit the dust. Glad your mom and sister-in-law are doing well.

Life's a Beach! said...

So sorry Sue. One of my friends had breast cancer 5 years ago, and now has a rare aggressive uterine cancer caused by the tamoxifen they gave her to stave off a breast cancer relapse. If only!