Sunday, December 7, 2008

Some Midwest Photos -- Hays, Kansas

Craig and I took a long lunch away from the hospital to look around downtown Hays. There were some surprises. Main Street has a lot of historic charm!


Saby or Statue?


Old Downtown Hays

Old Stone Church


This old stone house was on the backside of the block where the old stone church stands. It appears that the entire block was some type of church complex at one time. I think a stone sculptor occupies the house because the yard contains a lot of sculptures in stone like the one below.



More historic buildings in downtown Hays.


Could this be where my little elves got their training for those Christmas videos? :)

Downtown Antique Store


3 comments:

Vee said...

I'm glad you got out and about some. Thanks for sharing the photos. Do you know if you're near Bison?

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, I looked it up because I was curious. I actually in my early 20's worked for the State of Kansas in a clerical position where I was pretty well acquainted with the state -- and I've never heard of it! It's south of Hays down by LaCrosse, which is probably closer to my husband's hometown of Larned. Just west of LaCrosse. By the way, what was the attraction in Bison? Just curious. We might have to detour a few miles on the way out.

Vee said...

I went to Bison to write a story about the telephone company there, probably around 1986. I don't remember much about the town. There's a picture of me somewhere near Bison in the Excellent Opportunity; Some Travel Involved post on my blog. Click on the travel category in the sidebar next time you visit. I don't remember anything there worth going out of the way to see.