Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Fell Off the Christmas Train!


My apologies to all my friends who normally receive Christmas cards or gifts from me every year. I fell off the Christmas train as it rounded the bend and haven't had the heart to chase it down. I promise next year I'll belt myself onto the train and ride it all the way!

I learned some important lessons this year. I bailed out on almost all Christmas shopping and I can't believe the difference in stress level. I've always had all these Christmas tasks that I felt HAD to be completed. I simply didn't do most of them this year. I think a lot of people did the same and it probably doesn't bode well for the U.S. economy. I took care of the mom's and Michael, but I lost my taste for it after that.

We did manage to get the tree up after we finally located it! The day after we got back from our emergency trip to Kansas, Craig went out to the garage to retrieve the 'tree in a box.' He came back in and announced that our Christmas tree had been stolen??? Thank God Michael was around to remind us that we'd put the tree in his storage unit back in July.

Anyway, the tree's up and I bought a turkey today. I'll do the rest of the grocery shopping tomorrow and get the presents wrapped (I did buy a few). This year's different, but I bet we won't even notice! Christmas, in the end, is all about our relationships with those we hold dear, and not all that commercial stuff! It's a time to eat, drink, and be merry with family.

And I promise I'll catch ya next year with the Christmas cards!

2 comments:

Sue said...

I totally agree, Beck. It is WAY less stress, and frees you up to really enjoy the season and what it really means to you. I hope the fall didn't leave any bruises!

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, I felt slightly bruised at first, but it's wonderful now! Definitely the best Christmas season I've had in a long time! I could easily become an habitual offender.