Monday, January 30, 2012

San Xavier del Bac Mission

After our visit to San Xavier del Bac Mission on our Thursday road trip, I decided to combine my photos into a slideshow since there were way too many to string down the page in one post. The mission was founded in 1692 by the Jesuit missionary Eusebio Francisco Kino. The original mission church, after multiple attacks by Apaches, was finally destroyed by them around 1770. The present building was constructed under the direction of Franciscan Fathers Juan Bautista Velderrain and Juan Bautista Llorenz by native Indian labor between 1783 and 1797 to serve the Catholics of the San Xavier District of Tohono O'odham Nation. Unlike the other Spanish missions in Arizona, San Xavier is still actively run by Franciscans and serves the Tohono O'odham community who originally built the church.


San Xavier del Bac Mission - create a slideshow with music


My slideshow really doesn't do San Xavier justice, so if you're ever in the Tucson area, it's definitely something you won't want to miss!





7 comments:

drgeo said...

"Built by native labor..." Hey if you come over here and shift some rocks in 105 heat I'll give you a sip of water! "
Those Arizona palefaces been crazy a loooong time!

Life's a Beach! said...

drgeo, I'm betting the 'natives' probably didn't volunteer, and I doubt the pay was all that good. At least they still have the land where it sits. And yes, after Jan Brewer's pointy finger to President Obama last week, crazy is too polite of a description. No class.

drgeo said...

Not cranky with you Beck, I'm just just another refugee from Catholic school!

Life's a Beach! said...

drgeo, we're in total agreement. LOL

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, gorgeous photos but who is the reclining man? Hope its an artist rendering of him!!

I agree with the person who recently raved about finding your blog. Such beauty! Thank you.

Ann said...

I went to this mission in the early 70's --the highlight of our passing thru AZ! Still beautiful!

Life's a Beach! said...

Anon, it scared me at first because I thought it was an actual body, but I think it's a wooden saint lying in repose. I'm glad you found my blog, and thanks for posting!

Ann, it's probably much the same. They're constantly doing maintenance and restoring.