Sunday, January 29, 2012

On a Mission

First stop on Thursday's road trip was San Xavier del Bac Mission, just south of Tucson.  We've visited quite a few since moving to the Southwest, and San Xavier is definitely the jewel of the desert.   For the all the historical details, click on the link above.

Since I'm fascinated by altars, figurines, and candles, I love the little chapel situated behind an old iron fence off to the side of the main building.  


 The view through the fence.


 Beautiful bells against the blue desert sky.



The chapel altar.





 Candles and saints.




If you're ever headed south from Tucson towards the border, San Xavier is definitely worth a stop.  It was my second visit and my friend's first, and we both were just in awe.  I'll post more photos this next week.

3 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

I agree it is definitely worth a visit.
I really enjoyed my time there.

Unknown said...

The bell tower against the blue sky is unbelievably beautiful. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks Brenda and Laurie. San Xavier really is a special place.