Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Coconuts!

I took this video on Playa Norte in late November. Listen carefully and you can hear my friend, Coco Man, coming down the beach before you see him.

Mama mia, mama mia, coconuts! Hola amigo! Coconuts, coconuts! 

We've had a special relationship for years.  A friend of mine used to make a cat yowling sound when he'd pass on the beach and Coco Man would just laugh.  Later, when I'd be on the island solo, I'd let Coco Man know it was me with the same sound.  The first time I tried it, he came running over laughing yelling out Mamacita, Cuchi Cuchi!  Scared the living daylights out of me!  HA!  Now that Craig's retired and always with me, Coco Man yells out Hola Amiga!  Love that man!

What you won't hear or see in the video is him passing the topless girl just to the west of our location.

Mamacita!!! Cuchi Cuchi!  Cuchi Cuchi!  Mamacita!!! 



4 comments:

ajbaxter said...

Excellent

Ann said...

Wonderful! Can't wait to hear those dulcet tones! Need this vacation....

Anonymous said...

What is his name? I have never asked him in all the years I've been going to Isla and I've never gotten a coco from him. SHAME. I'm gong to buy one next trip. He's so awesome and funny. Thanks for the great video.

I was a little concerned. I didn't see Maria the pepita lady during 10 days at Christmas. I saw her once at Thanksgiving. There were a number of very windy non-beach days but I worry when I don't see one of our regulars on the beach. They ain't spring chickens any more!

Life's a Beach! said...

Anon, I also feel bad about not knowing his name. One time we shared a shrimp feast with him at the Posada beach and a friend translated. He is such a character! And he has to be in fantastic shape to drag those cocos up and down the beach everyday. I saw Maria a couple of times from a distance on Playa Norte in late November/early December, but she never passed where my chair was planted.

Thanks A.J.! Ann, your trip has to be approaching soon!