Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Some Retro Christmas

My day is off to a roaring start! In the process of making my lite coffee frappe this morning, I spilled half a container of powdered mocha mix on the kitchen floor. Fortunately Saby has no interest in powdered milk/cocoa, or it would have been a real mess!

Saturday while we were waiting for my car to be ready at that dealership, we stopped by the local antique mall. It's just a few miles south. I'd once again forgotten my camera, but used the phone for a few photos. They'd opened up a garden antiques area outdoors on the side.

I love retro Christmas items, so this glowing Frosty was tempting. But I had to pass since I still had to pay bail to get my Bug out of jail!



Look at what they did with this old sink fixture! Pretty cool!



While I was browsing inside the mall, I noticed a Santa just like the one I have from my childhood. My mother used to put it in the front picture window. When Santa was plugged in, he glowed for the entire neighborhood. I now have him on a shelf in our den. Where the original Santa used to have a green plastic Christmas tree in his hand, they had put a new bubble light. Guess how much my Santa is going for now? $150. I was floored. I think I'd better get an extra rider on the homeowners to protect my Santa. Mine is also missing the little green Christmas tree, so I have him holding some old Christmas decorations. But he still glows when he's plugged in!



I did find one item in the garden area that I couldn't resist. Especially since it was $3. It was a little ornamental green metal planter. I filled it with old Christmas ornaments!

Don't tell Craig, but the shop is having an outdoor flea market this weekend. He'll be working a trade show on Saturday, so I think I'll have to amuse myself. And this time I'll remember the camera?

2 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Love all your finds as usual, Beck...especially the metal basket with the Christmas ornaments. My Christmas decorations are at a bare minimum this year since I don't have the space AND I'll be gone for the holidays. Don't want to have to come back to putting away lots of decorations!

Life's a Beach! said...

Deb, you'll see plenty of Christmas decorations in Mexico! Can't wait to see your photos! Wish I could be there!!!