Thursday, December 3, 2009

Poc Chuc

One morning on Isla to escape the latest deluge from the approach of Hurricane Ida, a friend and I popped into Poc Chuc. It was either that or be drenched! We'd just had breakfast at The Elements, but sometimes the diet (ha!) must be sacrificed in order to stay high and dry!

I've never had a real love relationship with Poc Chuc after some mediocre tostadas on a past trip, but I have to tell you, I ordered the fried banana as a little post breakfast snack and it was a culinary treat! Absolute yummmmm! My friend came up with a really funny line for a fried banana post, but it eludes me now. So just channel Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. I can hear him say -- I'll have one of them French Fried Bananers!


I've always loved their sign! Is the pig a bean mosaic?


The counter's really colorful and cute!

Along with the exterior! It was raining too hard to stick my head through the menu board!


And here's the culinary work of art! Mmmmmmmmmm! And yes, it really was that yellow!


6 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Mmmmm...looks delish! I have yet to stick my head in that sign. Ha!

Vee said...

Boy, that banana does like yummy! I'll try that next trip. We don't hit Poc Chuc every trip, but we've been a few times, and food's always been good - and cheap. And yes, Tim and I have done the head-in-the-sign photos.

Moongrl722 said...

Yummy! What kind of sauce is served with it? Looks good.

jeanie said...

I've never eaten at Poc Chuc but now I'm dying for fried bananas.

Life's a Beach! said...

It was good! Jana, I think it was some kind of a yogurt type sauce, but not sure.

Islagringo said...

I love that you post about these types of places. Living here, I tend to just walk by places that I loved as a tourist here. Thanks for bringing them back to mind.