Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Lonely Beach!





I hadn't paid much attention to the band Mana for a few years, so when I noticed this video on on YouTube, I decided to post it. Love it! Not knowing anything about Chico Mendes, I found this quote on Wikipedia:


Francisco Alves Mendes Filho, better known as Chico Mendes (December 15, 1944December 22, 1988), was a Brazilian rubber tapper, unionist and environmental activist. He fought to stop the burning and logging of the Amazon Rainforest to clear land for cattle ranching, and founded a national union of rubber tappers in an attempt to preserve their profession and the rainforest that it relied upon. He was murdered in 1988 by ranchers opposed to his activism. He is survived by three children (Angela, Elenira, and Sandino Mendes). "At first I thought I was fighting to save rubber trees, then I thought I was fighting to save the Amazon rainforest. Now I realise I am fighting for humanity."


The video's theme of man's spoiling of planet Earth made me reach today to think of an uncrowded unspoiled beach that we've visited. I know the music of Mana would go better with a Mexican beach, but my travels aren't extensive enough there to have discovered any less-traveled beaches. The only beach that came to mind was Hanakapiai Beach on the Napali coastline of Kauai. It's not a deserted beach, but we were the only people on it the day we hiked to it.


Getting there involved a slippery two-mile scramble up and down the Kalalau Trail that hugs the Napali coastline for its first two miles. At the beginning of the trail, I was convinced we were on the wrong path because it was literally what appeared to be a dry (but very wet since it's Kauai) rocky stream bed. But once we got beyond that, it was an up and down rocky dirt (at times extremely muddy) trail. Hiking boots would definitely have been a better option than my beach jogging shoes because the trail was a real beater on the feet and knees. The views were spectacular. We were even able to spot dolphins offshore. At times, we were overwhelmed by the fragrant fruity smell of guava. Craig picked some along the trail to eat, but waited until we were back to the trailhead (because no one wants to be sick where there are NO facilities!). The only people we passed along the way were some barefoot surfers trekking out after their morning fun. And I couldn't believe they could hike that trail with no shoes. OUCH! At the end of the two miles, after jumping from one stone to the next over a stream that rushes down to sea, we finally saw our reward.


Hanakapiai Beach




The surf here is extremely dangerous, as noted by this sign on the trail, so we stayed out of the water.





Kalalau Trail



View of Ke'e Beach from the Trail


Ke'e looked fairly deserted on this trip, but it's become a destination for cruise daytrips and is currently one of the more crowded beaches on the island. I'm guessing that Hanakapiai Beach is still uncrowded because the only access is that eroded and slippery trail. The Kalalau Trail parking lot at Ke'e Beach IS overrun because of the Ke'e Beach traffic, so get there early if you want a parking spot!


Here's hoping for visits to many more deserted unspoiled beaches in my future!



No comments: