Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Get Allergic Smelling Hay!



People assume since I grew up in Kansas that I'm familiar with farms. Nope! I was a city girl having grown up in a town of 2300 people! We've been vagabonds, moving from one area of the U.S. to the other, but we've always lived in suburban areas. So when we moved to our new home in Arizona, I was a little shocked to realize that the minute I drove out of the neighborhood, I was in the country! Anyway, we've discovered that the irrigation canal trails and country lanes are great for our early morning bike rides.



High overcast means a great morning to ride!



Paglia Farms on the edge of the neighborhood.



Ducks on the irrigation canal.


New cornfield with San Tan Mountain in the distance.

Blue Heron on the trail.


Behind this innocent looking oleander hedge --




Lurks a rooster farm! You should hear the noise!



My favorite country lane.



Neighborhood greeter. He's a nice mannerly boy!

Lobo here scares the crap out of us! He can almost jump the fence!


No Smoking Please! This truck's been loaded for a LONG time.

Neighborhood petting zoo!


Yikes!



And here's the hay! Aaaaa-choo! Actually, it gives me a rash!


One morning when I didn't have my camera, I saw a soccer mom on some type of miniature tractor/lawnmower driving carpool to the school several blocks away. She had FIVE kids hanging off the thing! It was more loaded than a moto on Isla! I always miss the good shots! :)


7 comments:

Ann said...

I guess everyone has preconceived notions about different parts of the country--I don't think of Arizona as having so much green--farms, etc. I have been there--passing thru on a trip across country, in the southern part of the state. Thanks for sharing!

jeanie said...

I had no idea !!! I thought you really lived in the desert Beck. The pix around your house have cacti so I never though of farms. I've never seen a rooster farm....do they stud them out?

IslaZina said...

Well, I now feel I have been on an exotic vacation. Who knew! Thanks Beck!

Life's a Beach! said...

Ann and Jeanie, Arizona is really a fairly diverse state terrain-wise. Parts are mountainous with pines, part high desert, part desert mountains, part hot desert valley, etc... Our particular part of the metro Phoenix area is former farmland. An agricultural valley. Jeanie, we wonder why they raise roosters. Hope it's not to sell for cock-fighting. And Zina -- I got a good laugh out of exotic! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you. As I was watching the Green Acres song I thought, this is a wonderful post for moving to Mexico except we take out Green Acres and substitute Mazatlan or San Miguel or Merida.

Other blogs are such wonderful sources for ideas

Life's a Beach! said...

Richland, I read your blog and I LOVE it! I've been going back through all your posts to learn about those San Miguel gangs! Tee hee!

couzin frank said...

I will never forget the first time I went to NYC.Who knew that they had mountains and trees in New York? I thought it was all skyscrapers and concrete. Thanks Beck..you always make it interesting. Hope the roosters don't wake you'll up too early.