Thursday, September 18, 2008

Throw Open the Windows!






Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The blasted heat of summer down here is waning! The daytime temps are actually dipping into the upper 90's. I know that sounds comical to people in other parts of the country, but believe me, 99 degrees is a HUGE relief compared to 109 or 119 degrees! Last week we had a monsoon rain that lasted most of the night. We opened the windows and slept to the sound of the rain! It was almost as good as sleeping to the sound of crashing waves! And I'm seeing more overnight low's in the 70's in the short-term forecast! Once we hit October, then we start realizing WHY we moved here. Then it's great for seven months or so! Plop plop, fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is!

The plants are also loving the cooler temps. A lot of Arizona plants don't like the extreme heat of summer (up to 120 degrees) -- go figure! Even some cactus pale in all that sun! Many plants yellow out in reaction to the baking sun, including palms and hibiscus. So my plants are loving the temperature change too. Here's a few pictures from the garden.





Bougainvillea



Mexican (Red) Bird of Paradise



Wood Rose Vine



Radiation Lantana



Pink Hibiscus



British Ruellia

4 comments:

Ann said...

That song brought back alot of memories--I think I have it on a 45 or album somewhere--I'll have to look! Great flowers--I have trouble with stuff wilting here & we rarely get above 95!

jeanie said...

How gorgeous !!!! Fall has arrived early in Niagara. Only 60 so far this am. BRRRRRRR

LarsMn said...

Love your blog Beck! Only 2 months until the baby arrives. I'll send you pics and maybe start a blog of mine own. :) I love the lemony smell of the lantana.

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks everyone! And Lars, I can't wait to see pictures of the baby! You really should start a blog because you have a LOT to post! Keep me updated! And I love the smell of lantana too. We also have purple lantana and it smells flowery!