Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Some Island Shopping

I got a recorded call this morning reminding me to report to work on February 7 at 8 a.m. LOL! I love it when someone else screws up. Fortunately, I'd printed off my contract, so I knew the start date was February 14. I thought about calling personnel to check it out, but then decided not to be the nag who lets them know they're wrong. Sure enough, a half hour later the phone rang again with a new recorded message by the same man giving the same announcement with the correct date.

After the reminder that yes, I do have to go into a workplace next week, I decided I'd better do a little bit of winter sale shopping to make sure I have some work appropriate clothes. How I wish I could browse the wares on Hidalgo or Medina instead of dragging myself through the sale racks at Kohl's.

I've had island fever since I arrived home -- the worst case ever. The first few days I could hardly drag myself out of bed. No motivation to do anything. It could all wait until manana. And now that I'm awake from my little tropical sojourn, I'm struck with the nasty back problem that's making it difficult to accomplish any of the tasks I should have done last week. At least the suitcase isn't still in the middle of the bedroom floor!

If only I could snap my fingers and beam myself back to the island. I put off doing any shopping until the last few days on Isla and just never got to it. I went to Mexico and all I came home with was a Frida bolsa, a cheap pottery turtle, and a choker for my son. That's okay because all I really wanted was the Frida bolsa, but now I'm looking at photos remembering all the things I really did want to buy. Oh well. Next trip!

Here's a little shopping tour of Isla!

Colorful pottery skeletons.

Lots of pottery plates.

Maracas for the kids.



Silver jewelry and pewter plates for the more discerning.



Shells for those people who aren't obsessively toting home pounds of broken glass!


Very cool artistic tops.


Many hats to choose from


Including these Bicentenario sombreros.


And this guy picked the biggest hat of all! More bang for the buck (peso)!

Blankets, throws, and tablecloths!


Even bad and good news.



Colorful dresses!


Tiny pouches and purses.



And serapes and beach bags.

As I was browsing and taking photos, I noticed two drunk American couples hassling the vendors on Hidalgo. By the time I got to the leather shop on the side street, there they were again. Ugh. One of the women offered 40 pesos to the shopkeeper for a pair of heavy leather sandals. He explained politely that he wasn't selling trinkets -- he was selling shoes. The slurred abuse continued until one of the drunk husbands noticed me taking photos. He decided he wanted to use my camera to take my picture and starting chasing me down the street. I felt like I'd been caught in the filming of Jackass's Daytripper episode. Geez. What these shopkeepers must encounter on a daily basis!

7 comments:

Ann said...

Where was that clothesline of dresses? I actually had hortensia make me a dress to wear to the wedding I went to. I window shopped alot, but didn't buy much--3 pcs of talavera was my big purchase!

Life's a Beach! said...

Ann, I noticed your dress in the wedding pics and it was really pretty! I think that clothesline of dresses was set up on Medina. I noticed lots more vendors packing the malecon on Medina. I wonder if they've migrated from across the street because of the construction?

Anonymous said...

Lots of good shopping! Difficult to resist!

Jeanne

drgeo said...

What? No photos of the pickings at Kohl's? What is the up and coming executive wearing these days? What if life on Isla were the norm and employment was the exotic and foreign adventure?

Life's a Beach! said...

drgeo, the 'executives' where I work dress up on the first day of a project, and then casual Friday wear is the norm. Thank God! And once I start working from home, I guess anything comfortable goes (but I'm not the type to sit around all day in pajamas). Where do I apply for that mundane job of sitting around on Isla?

Jeanne, I didn't take photos of the good stuff made by artists! And I didn't even get into some of the new shops. What was I thinking!

drgeo said...

Valentine's Day approaches-- Craig must be very grateful for your saving his life on Isla! Will you buy him water wings? Chocolate covered jalapeƱos?

Life's a Beach! said...

drgeo, I'm thinking a small battery operated horn that he can sound in a REAL emergency might be a good idea! And that reminds me. I must buy some Valentine's and get them in the mail.