Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bienvenidos!

While some changes on Isla Mujeres, like the repaving of Rueda Medina, seem just downright frustrating, the current administration needs credit for the beautification of formerly blighted areas. The area along the malecon on the Caribe is one side that's seen vast improvement in a short period of time.


In addition to the lovely new sculptures,

Someone's painting the seawall with brightly colored murals.

Love the new turtles by the Rocamar!


And more murals have popped up along the malecon on the temporary walls installed to block the rubble from the demolished Perla Caribe.


While all the malecon pillars/posts used to look like this one,


Now the posts have become welcome billboards to the citizens of the world! The United States!


Oh Canada!


China?


All the sol worshippers of the world.



And I'm not sure about this one. I'm having a hard time translating flags to pillars. The Brits? Help me out!

When we first started visiting Isla Mujeres ten years ago, this area of the island, the backside of Juarez and the Navy Base, was blighted with rubble dating back to Hurricane Gilberto. I'm really impressed with the brightly colored murals and sculptures that now grace the malecon and the zocalo!


6 comments:

Ann said...

I think we both had alot of the same ideas for posts! Great shots--I agree about the clean up!

Life's a Beach! said...

Ann, great minds think alike! : )

Sandia said...

Maybe the last one is Cuba? Can't wait to be there to see for myself....Sandia

Life's a Beach! said...

Sandia, I also would have guessed Cuba with the blue and white stripes. I know it seems selfish, but I can't wait to get back too. I'll just take care of this little work thing and maybe in the summer? Or maybe in November.

Anonymous said...

It's looking great!!!

Linda
IC

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks Linda! Can't wait to get back, maybe when the water's warmer.