Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A 70 Peso Ride

Yesterday began with a beautiful sunrise, a long walk, monkey bread with an old friend out at The Blue Iguana, and then it was time to board that ferry.

The ride, of course, was beautiful. My Isla mojo was just slightly marred by a loud mouth at the very back of the boat waxing on to his group about his big business deal with Walmart when he returns. Wow.

He wasn't exactly dressed like a corporate mogul -- fuzzy hair climbing up over the top all round his orange tank top -- and he couldn't pronounce Isla. How in the world anyone can talk loud enough for me to hear every word over the boat engines and water from the back to the front on the top of the ferry is beyond me, but I'm sure he wanted everyone to hear.

I mentally pinned him to the map by his accent, but I was oh so wrong. They were with me every step of the long way home. Same Best Day van. Same gates. Same flights.

The only thing more annoying was the man in Houston at the gate who (hope you're not eating breakfast) picked wax from his ears and snuck it into his mouth to eat it?????? Bizarro! Go get a burger for God's sake!

Now that you're thoroughly grossed out, here's a photo review of that gorgeous 70 peso ride.


Monday's sunrise from the room.


The docks from the boat.


Finally got those bags on board and settled in for the beautiful ride.


The docks and changing skyline.


Snorkeling boats out at the lighthouse.

And away we go. They need to get a new Mexican flag.


Frida and I are on our way.


Passing the old Magana ferry on its way to Isla.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I threw up a little when I read about the guy and earwax..gross!!

jeanie said...

LMAO Luv the Frida bag!!!! I hate when that happens! You run into the most annoying person ever....and there they are every freakin step of the way!! One of my many seat choice errors was annoying man behind me in line who was making a God awful noise that was a combo cough/hork. I learned the hard way that if you haven't made your seat choice the dude will be right behind you on the plane. Frank laughs at me but I check out the people in the check in line to avoid weirdos.

Doris said...

I may not have commented on here before, but I really enjoy your blog....beautiful photos and great info too!

Hard to leave Isla on such a gorgeous day!

Ear wax snack??? ewwwwww!

Life's a Beach! said...

I wanna go back dammit! There was also an angry man talking to himself at the gate in Houston. He boarded the plane late, shoved his carryon into my backpack in the overhead, and I almost wet my pants for fear he'd sit in the seat next to me. He was still talking to himself and making wild gestures. Pretty scarey. I really hate the travel to and from. One of these days, I hope Craig and I can start spending at least a month on Isla.

Anonymous said...

Gross!!! I've had my share of sitting near annoying people on plane rides!

As usual your photos are gorgeous - And I love your Frida bag too!

Jeanne

drgeo111 said...

You reported you got your plural bags on to the ferry, so I assume that would be one suitcase with gently used clothes--and another suitcase stuffed with sea glass and shells?

Isla Deb said...

I know exactly what you mean, Beck. It takes a few days to get into the Isla groove when you're there by yourself, but then when you're really enjoying it, it's time to leave. I, too, would love to spend a month there someday.

As far as the obnoxious people...I, too, had the privilege of being at the same gate at the airport with the arrogant cane-wielding jerk I stood in line with at the ferry. Luckily, I didn't sit near him on the plane. There's always someone you'd like to have fall off the ferry on the way back.