Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chuuk Kay!

After a morning of fishing and kayaking for Craig and pool time for me, we decided to hop in the golf cart and head over to Chuuk Kay for a late lunch on a Friday afternoon. We were there last July and loved it. The place is a little slice of heaven!


I love the setting. It's a huge brand new palapa bar on the waterway that leads into Lagoon Macax out by Villa Vera. We always make a few wrong turns on the way, but our easiest point of reference is to turn towards the water off the bayside road (just take Medina south from El Centro) at what we call the Corona tienda -- the little store with the Corona signs plastered all over it. From there, you're on your own. Ha! We always hang a right when we should have hung a left, or vice versa? But you WILL find it! I suppose the easiest method is just to board a taxi and tell them Chuuk Kay.

Blue dock, blue water, and yellow boat! So pretty!

We chose a table under the palapa closest to the water and our waiter was there in a nano-second. Chips, pico de gallo, a cold Coca Lite, and a Dos Equis Amber for the starter!


With all the marinas out in that area, Chuuk Kay is the perfect place to kick back and watch the boats float by. Love the blue boat!


Chuuk Kay even has loungers for those who don't want to miss a precious moment of time in the sun! Wouldn't it be fun to spend your Saturday or Sunday afternoon basking in the sun listening to Javi and and the band while you eat and drink!



Yum! Wish I could beam myself back this afternoon. I ordered the shrimp tacos which were fantastic! And yes, they had my favorite tamarindo sauce to top it off. How in the world did it take me umpteen trips to Isla to discover tamarindo sauce!

Craig decided on the nachos mixta with chicken and beef. They also have seafood nachos on the menu. After I saw his nachos, we decided to share. In exchange for one of my shrimp tacos, I got to dive into his nacho plate.


It was so embarrassing. Craig licked his plate. (just kidding and hope he's not reading this) Craig has a method for utilizing jalapenos. He methodically squeezes them over the food to leave the juice, but doesn't actually eat them to feel the burn.


We missed out on Sunday afternoon at Chuuk Kay, which I've heard is a hoppin' good time! I arrived sick on Isla and didn't want to expose friends to the flu, so we missed the rockin' music. Next trip for sure!


I snapped a photo of the guys at the bar on our way out. Those bar lights appear to be made from very expensive fishing reels! Very cool!

So, if you haven't been yet, get yourself out there! It's a fun place to spend an afternoon or evening, and the food and service are just like Tony the Tiger always said (is anyone else old enough to remember him?). Grrrrrrr-eat!

8 comments:

jeanie said...

Looks wonderful!! We can't wait to go there. Our dear friend Ventura is the manager.

Ann said...

didn't make it there this trip! So many new places to try...so little time!

Vee said...

I am so happy to see that area getting some traffic. It's among my favorite corners of Isla.

Life's a Beach! said...

Jeanie, go on the weekend when they have music! Ann, I know what you mean. I didn't get to try Asia Caribe and a few others. I had a few bad days when I didn't eat much. So unlike me!

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, it's a great area, and not that far from El Centro!

Marla Bainbridge said...

Thanks for the Blog! http://www.chuukkay.com

Anonymous said...

Wow - the food looks fantastic! Craig doesn't eat the jalapenos but does the juice - ha! I love jalapenos - would LOVE those nachos right now.

The views are beautiful! Reminds me a little bit of views off some creeks here (down east) on the Pamlico. Nice! Looks like a great time.

Jeanne

krisla said...

Thanks for all those photos!
I totally love your blog.
I also had a bad case of missing Isla when I returned last Feb. (so to cure it, staying longer this time :)