Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

I picked up this book at the library this afternoon and I'm a little perplexed by the title. Frankly, I'm not the type of gal who gets sad when I see cake! Chocolate cake, coconut cake, red velvet cake, lemon cake -- they're all good! The title of the book immediately reminded me of a particular lemon cake I used to make in the good old days. By good old days, I mean back in my much younger days when I could get away with consuming large quantities of cake and not automatically gain five pounds.

When I walked in the door at home, I went straight to the kitchen cabinet and pulled out the old decoupaged box where I keep all those ancient recipes from the 1960's. You know, the one's with all the healthy ingredients! After searching for fifteen minutes, I finally located the recipe. It was called Better Next Day Cake. I always assumed the name meant you'd feel a whole lot better the next day after you'd eaten all that delicious cake, but now I realize the cake's supposed to taste better after it's melded together overnight. Duh!

Here's the old recipe. Unfortunately, I'm not going to actually make the cake so I can take a photo, because if I did that, I WOULDN'T feel better the next day because I would eat the whole damn cake the same day!

Better Next Day Cake

1 lemon cake mix
1 box lemon jello
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. cold water
1 t. lemon extract
4 eggs

Add rest of ingredients to combined cake mix and dry jello, beating in one egg at a time. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Icing

2 c. powdered sugar
1 can frozen lemonade melted

Mix powdered sugar and lemonade concentrate together for icing. Poke holes all over the cake and dribble icing over it.

Now, someone needs to be my guinea pig! Please bake it and tell me if it tastes as good as I remember! And then tell me if you feel better the next day! I'll read the book, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, by Aimee Bender, and let you know if I like that!

P.S. If you do make the cake, send me a piece!

9 comments:

Jane said...

So, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, you're upset at voters, which brought to mind memories of eating sweet cakes made from lemons?

Jane said...

Sorry for interjecting my displeasure onto your blog, exacerbated by the fact that lemons don't grow in Wisconsin, and we have too many Johnsons!

Blasé said...

There's a lot I would do for some Lemon Pound Cake...

Vee said...

I read that book, Becky. Let me know what you think of it.

Life's a Beach! said...

Jane, you're funny! I vote, but my means of surviving the political climate down here is just turning a deaf ear to it all and denying I'm actually from Arizona when I travel.

Blase (sorry I can't find the accent on my keyboard),I'm still dying for a piece of that lemon cake!

And Vee, the book is wonderful. I'm thinking about taking one of her other titles to Mexico with me in a few weeks.

Ann said...

I have this book on my to read list! Will have to look for it soon. i'd say i'd make the cake, but I know I would have to eat the whole thing & I'm trying to drop a few lbs!

Life's a Beach! said...

Same here Ann! I'm desperately trying to drop some after finally getting off the meds that helped me gain it! lemon cake will have to wait! : )

Linda said...

I make a similar Lemon Bundt cake, but with lemon instant pudding mix (vegetarian... don't do Jello) & the water must be HOT.

I like your icing mixture, though, so I think I'll try it on my Lemon Bundt cake! (we actually always make it a Lemon-Poppyseed cake by adding 1/4 cup (+) of poppyseeds)

WARNING! Do not eat poppyseed anything if you have to take a drug test; you will have a false positive for opium, as poppies are the source of opium! =:-o

Linda
IC

Life's a Beach! said...

Linda, I have a flight attendant friend who flunked a drug test back in the early days of testing due to the poppyseed muffin. Lemon cake just sounds so good right now -- certainly better than the scrambled eggs I just ate for breakfast. I like my eggs in a cake mix!