Monday, November 22, 2010

Besh-Ba-Gowah Indian Ruins

On our Veteran's Day trip to Globe, we decided to take a drive up the hill to see the Indian ruins. We aren't very observant because I'd never noticed the sign before. I guess I was too focused on antiques. After a morning of browsing the shops, Craig was definitely ready for something else after our stop at Roberto's for lunch. Ruins and forts are more up Craig's alley, but I have to admit it was a really interesting tour.






This sign basically tells the story. The Salado Indians occupied the site between 1250 and 1450 A.D.



They had these dead critters in a bowl. I took a long look to try and condition myself in case I run into one in Yelapa. I live in Phoenix and I've never seen a scorpion. Go figure! Aren't they pretty! (I'm repeating that over and over to myself.)





Look at all the pottery unearthed on the site!

The restored pueblo.


There was a ladder to the second level with a caution sign.


I passed on the climb, but Craig, of course, couldn't resist.





The gourd garden was at the front of the site. I'd love to take some home and dry them!

And that's the end of my photos from the Globe, Arizona trip. Hopefully towards the end of this week, I'll be back to posting photos of Mexico and beaches! Woo hoo!

2 comments:

drgeo said...

Craig is holding up a sign upstairs--what does it say? This might be an opportunity for a caption contest!

Chrissy y Keith said...

I have been to Globe a dozen times and have never seen that. Cool. It is now on my list.