Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Seso Loco and Election Night

I think it's time for me to return to my trip reports from Isla. I still have a lot of photos and stories to tell!

I continue to be amazed at the food we found out in the colonias on Isla. Basically, we only ventured into El Centro a few times to eat dinner when we were staying at Deep Blue. One evening, actually it was the 4th of July, we headed to Seso Loco because we were anxious to see their new restaurant. We always loved the food at their location on Hidalgo, and hadn't eaten there since they moved.

Fancy sign! We had no problem finding the new location. It's on one of those corners on the bayside road (Rueda Medina?) once you get into the colonias. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go find my Isla map and give good directions! But I don't want to deny you the adventure of looking for the place. HA!


I was surprised at the nice ambience! Lots of plants, wooden chairs, interesting mosaics in the floor, etc....


A lot nicer than their former location on Hidalgo!


Lots of choices on the menu! And reasonable prices.

I especially loved the tablecloths!

Craig was fully into relaxed Isla mode by this time in the trip!


He ordered a pizza that was really good!



And I had the Azteca soup! (In addition to some of his pizza!)


As a little postscript, July 4 was the night of the election. Craig had no trouble ordering a beer with his pizza, but on the way from Deep Blue to Seso Loco, we'd encountered an intersection crowded with people and Federales. A man had yelled and gestured at us to go the other way. We, of course, interpreted the situation as something bad going on and quickly turned the cart around and got the heck out of there. Earlier in the day, we'd noticed heated arguments and policia breaking up a few fights in the vicinity of the street by Deep Blue.

On the way back from Seso Loco, we had to wind our way around the colonias due to blocked off streets. The main police station was locked down tight with a show of force posted at the gate. When we finally got back to Deep Blue, we realized the crowds in the street had multiplied. The elementary school behind the condo was a polling place. Not being familiar with elections on Isla, we couldn't figure out if the blocked streets and crowds gathered in the streets were normal, or some kind of demonstration. I'm laughing now, but at the time, we were a little puzzled and concerned because we truly thought we were witnessing some kind of demonstrations. We went up to the rooftop to observe what was happening. At one point after I snapped a photo from the rooftop, we noticed a group of taxi drivers running our way on the street below. We quickly got ourselves back into the condo.

And the moral of this story IS how easy it is to misinterpret what's going on when you're in a foreign culture and country. HA! All was well on the island. The next day, I was told by Ruben, the Deep Blue manager, that the presence of Federales on the island was simply to insure something bad didn't happen. The crowds in the street were gathered waiting for the election results, much like the groups that gather at campaign headquarters and hotel ballrooms in the United States. So I should never assume because you know what they say about assuming. It makes an ass out of u and me. Sorry, couldn't resist!


Election night scene in the street below Deep Blue.

7 comments:

Moongrl722 said...

Seso Loco looks great - that soup! Wow, it looks awesome. Funny story about the election/demonstration. :) Glad all was well and peaceful.

MD in Texas said...

Seso Loco - my NEW favorite place. Found it for the first time in June.

Don't bother looking for it on your map. I don't think it is there. We grabbed a cab (and our map) and told the driver we wanted to go to Seso Loco on Rueda Medina. He took us to Taco Medina down in the colonias. Oh boy, now HOW to tell him to get to Seso Loco....all we know is that it is mid island on Medina.....I have the map spread out looking, can't find it when suddenly we pass ....ALTO to the driver.

Poor guy was so embarrassed for driving us on a 20 minute tour of the island. Was he ever surprised when Mark and one of our buddies still paid him in full. We got a mini tour of the island for only a few pesos - what's to be mad about!

The 4 of us had ceviche, pulpo, coconut shrimp and some pasta dish. Everything was really great and terrific prices.

Now that we know where it is, I can't wait to go back!

Donna

Ann said...

Seso Loco's has been a favorite of ours since our 1st trip there--4 days after he opened on Hidalgo--am so glad so many people are discovering it, too! Aztec soup is a favorite of mine too!

Isla Deb said...

It's one place I haven't been to, yet, but it's definitely on my list for next time!

Vee said...

Yep, need to add Seso Loco to the list. Great story about election night, Beck.

Jane said...

If I remember correctly, it's illegal to take photos during elections.

I would have taken one anyway, just like you did. However, that may be why the taxi drivers ran towards you--probably to warn you.

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks everyone! Jane, I'd never heard that before! I think we just misinterpreted the taxi drivers running our way. I'm betting they were on another mission.