Tuesday, August 31, 2010

An Isla Morning

Lately, all the trip reports and photos from Isla are making me homesick. I'd love to spend a month on the island sometime soon, but I think our next trip back will be in June/July. I started looking through photos and found some that I don't think I've posted yet.

My favorite time of day on Isla is early morning. I usually wake up with the sunrise, throw on some clothes, and combine a morning walk with a seaglass hunt. Then on my way home, I walk through El Centro, stopping at the supermercado and market for fruit, baked goods, and orange juice. Here are some photos from my Isla morning.


I always notice something on my morning walks that I've never seen before.


The early morning streets are fairly deserted.

I usually make a loop down Medina and back along the malecon. Here's the view looking north toward my seaglass mine!


During my seaglass hunt, I always see this post from the old seawall. It'd be a cool memento if it wasn't too big to take home!


All the beach chairs are lined up on Playa Norte waiting for customers.


The dengue warnings on the square are a reminder to wear that Autan! If we had dengue around here, I'd have it. The mosquitos here right now are horrible! Hope none of us get West Nile.



I'm really curious about this poster. Are they building a new Catholic Church on the island?


The fountain on the zocalo actually looks nice when it's filled and running!


The fruit looks riper in the mercado, but I like taking photos of the signs in the supermercado.


These rolls in the supermercado looked good, but I didn't try one.


This gorgeous hibiscus tree sits in front of a house on Juarez.



I usually walk Juarez on my way back to Playa Norte. I love these inventive parking cones in front of the Hostel Posada.


Once home, it's fun to clean and arrange the day's booty!

5 comments:

Jane said...

Dear Homesick: Today's pictorial walking tour brought back (thank you) so many memories, including the fragrance of Isla during early morning cool, quiet walks, while my roommate(s) were still asleep.

Isla Deb said...

When I was there in May of 2008, I found a small piece of the old blue posts on the Malecon which I brought home. It's in a vase along with Isla sand, shells and sea glass. Great pics!

Vee said...

I also love to walk around in the early morning - primarily b/c we go in low season (spring/summer) and that's the only time it's cool enough! Enjoyed the tour, Beck!

Moongrl722 said...

Oh, nice walk! One morning I was on my Isla walk (seriously...it was late morning) thru El Centro and there was a local man passed out on the sidewalk. His foot was hanging off the curb and his shoe was in the street. As I navigated around him, his head lifted slightly off the cement. 'Is he going to throw up?' I wondered. He looked at me and said "Buenos Dias!" and smiled. I replied the same and he laid his head back down and I walked on. Only in Mexico!

Jane said...

I'm so relieved, Jana, that you didn't say who he is.