Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Memories

I went looking for some old photos of family Thanksgiving's yesterday, but couldn't find any. Lots of Christmas dinner photos, but no Thanksgiving! Then I realized a lot of my childhood Thanksgiving's were spent in Kansas City at my aunt's. She lived in various locations around the city, but my favorite was definitely her house on the hill above the Country Club Plaza -- 5115 Sunset Drive! The house was so distinctive, I can still remember the address 45 years later! The house was one of the hottest locations in town because it was an easy walk to those fantastic Plaza Christmas lights that Kansas City's famous for!

The house was beautiful. I'd call it a mini-mansion. I googled it online to try and find a photo, but all I got were the facts. It was an old French tudor style three story home. All the windows on the front were French door balconies. It had a large center staircase in the large entry hall. It was a child's dream for hide and seek with all those rooms, nooks, and crannies. Not to mention the grounds and area. Usually our hide and seek game would start in the yard, and then extend all the way over to Loose Park.

After Thanksgiving dinner, my aunt would usually take me down to the Plaza. We'd window shop, and later stop someplace for another piece of pie. I guess she wanted a little escape from all the relatives. Later in the evening, my uncle would take the adults and all of us kids to the latest movie at the Plaza cinema. I distinctly remember seeing a Pink Panther movie one year.

Hope this Thanksgiving Day rekindles all those happy family memories for all of you! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

You are so right Beck. We all have a wealth of memories inside us and sometimes we need a little nudge to remember. Warm thoughts tonight my friend!