Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Isla by Night

First, the Tuesday update! I managed to get my walk and a trip to the carryout place down by the San Jorge in before the sky opened up. The rain didn't last long, and I was back out for the seaglass hunt.

I headed down to Playa Norte around 10 a.m. On the way, I stopped off at the market across from Poc Na and bought a couple of pretty beaded bracelets from the woman in the first stall at the back.

After a little bit of shopping, I headed first to the Avalon Cove for a dip. The fact that I'm now by myself didn't deter the timeshare salesman by the bridge, so I turned on the strangest accent I could muster and told him I already owned property on the island. I think my pants caught fire on that one, but I decided to try to stop him in his tracks. He's been bugging me every time I'm there, but my deceit didn't deter him because he was still yelling something at me as I walked away.

After a short swim, I headed west past NaBalam and Maria del Mar. I took some celllphone photos, but have since discovered I didn't bring the cord with me to upload them. I'll take my camera next trip! Workers in the vicinity of Maria del Mar were adding sandbags to the wooden piers. Compared to the other areas with the whales, it really doesn't appear they've gained a lot of sand since my last visit. But I could be wrong!

I ended up on a lounger down at Chi Chi's to relax for awhile and take another swim. After an hour or so, I was itching, so decided to pick up my laundry at Tim Pho and clean up before having lunch. I was just inches away from returning to La Lomita for those enchilada suizas again, but decided to get a salad at Rolandi's instead. I'd heard Cool was reopening Tuesday, so I walked down Hidalgo and sure enough, Rosemary was there making ice cream. She's back, and it's as good as ever! : )

I decided to put my after dark photos together that I've taken over the past week. The full moon is out now and it's just beautiful!

I see a full moon arising!



Every evening, people in a Jeep set up a tailgate shop at the end of Hidalgo selling sweet rolls.


I love the look of the Sunset Grill after dark. A little tropical oasis.

The car ferry passing Playa del Sol.


A peek over the wall.



A Night Bug



Gourd lights on Hidalgo.


One of the docks down by Mocambo is lit. It's muy romantico, but I was dining solo. Ha!





Food carts are back on the square every night. This guy always seems to be busy.


Chucho on the keyboard!

6 comments:

Ann said...

Beautiful nighttime photos! Thanks for the photo of Mocambo. glad to hear that places are opening back up & there are more people on the island.

Vee said...

Love the night photos, Beck. Wish I could have seen that full moon. Beautiful! Your reports make me miss the island so much...

Moongrl722 said...

I saw the moon here and was thinking about my favorite place to watch a moonrise -- Playa Media Luna! Lovely pics and it sounds like you're having a wonderful time just hanging out and doing whatever you want. That sounds great!!

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks everyone! The sky's still very cloudy this morning, but who knows! I'm having fun! Part of the reason for the trip is just to chill! The sun dang near always shines at home, so I don't mind a variety of weather on vacation. : )

Bennie said...

It sounds like you are having a great time there on Isla. What a nice break.

Tom said...

That family at the end of Hidalgo has some of the best pastries at really inexpensive prices. And they are so appreciative of you making a purchase. We usually stopped there every night, put the pastries in a zip lock bag for a quick snack before our AM walk. Hope the weather Gods are good to you.