Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Some Playa Norte Photos



But first, the view at my new home away from home -- Media Luna.

Late this afternoon, I decided to take a walk around the corner and see how Playa Norte had been affected by the hurricane. The tide is still high, so it's hard to know if the changes will be permanent.

In front of Villa Kin on the Avalon Cove, I had to wade through water to get through that stretch.



The water is still pretty high under the Avalon bridge and they were trying to prop up some pipe. Hope it's nothing to do with sewage! Just kidding, because I'm sure it was too small for that!

Nabalam appears to be the worst affected. I couldn't even wade around the beach bar/deck. I had to go back to the street and emerge back onto Playa Norte by Maria del Mar. Last week, they were working diligently to sandbag, and I thought they were losing sand then. Now, they're back to square one in the area of their beach restaurant.

The area just to the other side of the Avalon bridge.

And the beach restaurant at Nabalam.

I couldn't tell for sure about the Maria del Mar area because last week I didn't think it had gained much since March 2008.



On down the beach in front of Ixchel, it didn't appear to have changed much. But I did notice down at Chi Chi's that they had lost some sand because whales that were buried last week are now exposed. I asked the waiter at Chi Chi's this morning and he said they had lost some sand, but it would be back tomorrow. I think the whales they're using from Ixchel west to the tip are very effective at adding sand.

Looking north from the Ixchel beach toward Chi Chi's.


I didn't go beyond the Chi Chi's area today, so I have no clue about Playa del Sol. When I got back to Playa Media Luna, there was a reverse sunset in the southeastern sky.


Not to change the subject, but this afternoon, I made a trip to the Fire Opal to visit Ricardo so he could show me what to do with the seaglass. He wrapped a piece with wire to make a pendant. I also saw a couple of cool necklaces that I ended up buying. When you're on Isla, check him out. He's moved across the street from his old location and has a lot more jewelry, especially the quality stones. I also think he's got more beaded necklaces.


The piece on the left has a quartz stone in the center. The middle necklace is one of my pieces of seaglass. It's kind of a lilac color, but you can't tell that on the gold background. And the beaded piece on the right is one Ricardo made himself. It has small pieces of turquoise and amber. I think it's my favorite!

3 comments:

jeanie said...

The photos a gorgeous Beck. Did you use some kind of effect on them? They look like paintings. Not like the watercolor effect, they look like oil. i

Ann said...

Great photos! Love the resverse sunset! especially. those necklaces are beautiful--will make a point of stopping there when we're down!

Life's a Beach! said...

Jeanie, no effects. I just used the regular Kodak Easyshare editing. I think it was just the time of day with the clouds and sunset.

Ann, he really had a lot of cool pieces. I'd never seen him use that knotted effected with the turquoise and amber necklace. I told him to make more of those because I think they'd sell like hotcakes! He had on a male version that was really cool. You'll have to check him out this winter. He's also making a point to be more consistent on hours and the owner of the mine who supplies his opals is there helping him.