Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Batch of Black and White's

I always miss the family Christmas get-together, but I've heard that certain stories from our childhood get repeated a lot. I discovered a scrapbook last week that I'd put together for a Girl Scout badge. I couldn't believe the treasure trove of pictures. And when I saw this picture of the gray coat AND the little white angora hat, I knew it was a keeper!

My brother's wearing the famous gray wool coat from the repeated story -- bought in Indianapolis. I think there's a hat on his head to match! And of course, that's me in the famous little white angora hat. I think he must have just pinched me because I don't look happy and he's gleeful. It's always his fault! Ha!

This is the generic family newborn photo. Actually, it's my brother's newborn picture. There were about five copies of it in the old desk picture drawer. My parents didn't have a newborn picture of me (boo hoo), so my mother would always point to one of the five copies and tell me that was my hospital pic. It took me quite a few years to realize I'd been duped. (My brother was the gifted one.)

I think my brother was into outfits or something! Hey sailor, is that a MOP you're holding? You look like you're ready to belt out a show tune from South Pacific!

When I saw this photo, it reminded me of that often repeated story about my brother and Cousin Robin setting Grandpa Bowman's neighbor's garden on fire and not leaving themselves an exit route. I think they're both holding their little (devil's) pitchfork handles in this picture!

And I included this picture because someone bears a striking resemblance to Kirwin. I see Reas holding Larry!
This photo proves that once upon a time we were Methodists. I thought I dreamed that one! But here's my brother at the head of the table in the Methodist Church kitchen. I recognize some faces in there!

And here we go again with the outfits! Hmmmmm. Hey cowboy! Nice hat, and I think there's a horse's head on that cake! Or maybe that's an Easter Bunny? (But horse's head sounds much more dramatic.)

P.S. I'm going to hold all the discovered pictures hostage! Finder's keepers, loser's weepers!

7 comments:

Ann said...

Great treasure trove! I love looking at the old photos--I will be posting more from my family over the coming months!

jeanie said...

LOL Beck, Did your brother turn out OK in spite of those OUTFITS? I am on the lookout for a white angora hat for baby Gracie.

Vee said...

I always enjoy your photos, Beck. Happy New Year to you, Craig, Michael, and Saby!

Moongrl722 said...

Fab pics and commentary. I am assuming that your family was kicked out of the Methodist church because or your brother's costumes. And yes...I have an older bro, too..it's ALWAYS their fault.

Life's a Beach! said...

Jeanie, I wish I had the angora hat! My brother also wore a football outfit, so he turned out normal. LOL

Jana, the story is that we grew up Baptist primarily because my dad's parents were devout Baptists. But when we were really little, my mother tried to strike a compromise and go to the Methodist Church. I was too little to even remember it. Once the grandparents died, my parents became Presbyterians. And I ended up very confused . . . (But that probably would have happened anyway! HA!)

Sue said...

Beck, I always said I have similar old family photos - VERY similar. And now I find out we both had a Grandpa Bowman? I know it's not the same family, but so weird how your pictures and stories remind me of my family/childhood.

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, you had a Grandpa Bowman?!!! My grandfather's family was originally from Pennsylvania -- Somerset County. The name was spelled Bauman until WWI. They emigrated to the U.S. from Bavaria before the American Revolution. So who knows! We may be cousins. :)