Monday, October 11, 2010

San Felipes Cantina

Since Craig left his cellphone at work on Friday and really didn't want to be without it, we broke the mold Saturday and headed north of 60 for some lunch. After stopping by ASU SkySong to get his phone, I picked up a few items at World Market in Tempe Marketplace. While we were in the parking lot, I spotted this old VW bus.

What the heck! We decided to just get on the bus and try San Felipes Cantina for lunch.

This is supposedly their takeout order window, but I didn't see any tacos being served.

Just inside the door, these old bucket seats serve as lobby seating.

The weather was beautiful, so we sat at the outdoor tables for lunch.

Peace out man. I almost expected someone to pass a doobie.

Craig took my photo for a change.


Craig wanted to know why in the heck I took a photo of the table. It was obvious to me. Cool screensaver!


The food came and we both rated it pretty good. A step above Rubio's fish tacos, but not one of those times when you say "those are the best fish tacos I've ever had." Maybe your toes need to be in Mexican sand gazing out at a blue ocean to say that! Which reminds me, our toes will be in the sand again on November 24th!



I had the shrimp tacos. We both felt like the food would probably taste better if we were 20, in college, hanging with friends, and polishing the meal off with a pitcher of beer. Right about the time we finished our tacos, Rod Stewart's Maggie was playing. I can distinctly remember being 18 with a pitcher of Coors hanging out at Kite's in K-State's Aggieville with that song blaring from the jukebox. Oh to be young again!




4 comments:

Chrissy y Keith said...

San Felipes had a place up North here on Pima and Thompson Peak Parkway. It was a crazy place where bar dancing was common. They had the van there and all the old photos of shirtless boys and surf boards. The food was so so and after trying it several times we felt the only thing to go back for were the fried oysters. I think the Tempe location will fare better than it did up here.

Ann said...

Nice to find a new place that you like--even if it's not " the best"--the sand makes a big difference!

Moongrl722 said...

The food looks good and the decor is fabulous!! Love the seats.

Linda said...

OMG, are your photos making me Jones for some fish tacos with rice & refried beans!!!

Linda
IC