Sunday, November 9, 2008

Purple People Eater


I think there are some songs that are just iconic to certain decades. You'll hear that song and the memories just come flooding back. When I heard this song the other day, all those memories of childhood popped into my brain. Sitting at my little card table with my phonograph playing the song over and over. It must have driven my parents nuts! I can even remember jumping up and down on the old sofa in the family room while it played! It brings back memories of hamburgers, hot dogs, Curly Q fries, and banana milkshakes at the Dairy Breeze. Taking the nickel my grandfather gave me to Armbrecht's grocery store to buy those banana split taffy candies I loved! Wonder what happened to my Hula Hoop, Cinderella watch, Schwinn bike, pogo stick, and Lincoln Logs? Here are a few family black and whites from that era.

I'm sure Purple People Eater was playing in that stack of 45's!

Hanging with my dad.

Kindergarten Graduation

No jumping on the bed!

A birthday gathering for my cousin Jon and I. We were born on the same day. He was always the clown and my buddy. We were a team against my brother and cousin Rob when they took on the little kids. And we always got pummeled. Walnut wars were a bitch! Jon died two years ago, so birthday's now are bittersweet.

Me on a Shetland Pony. My grandparents had friends who raised them.

My brother and I in the garden at Grandpa Wright's. Grandpa had a wonderful green thumb with all kinds of fruit trees, grapevines, flowers, and vegetables.

P.S. I asked Craig about Purple People Eater and it wasn't a big song for him. I think Davy Crockett was his all time fave!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Love the pictures, especially the one with you and Kirwin!

Is that your grandparents (Bowman) in the picture of your birthday with Jon?

Life's a Beach! said...

Si Yenny, that is Grandma and Grandpa Bowman. Put a white wig on me with those glasses and see the resemblance? Freaky!

jeanie said...

I loved Purple People Eater AND Davy Crockett. I had a tap routine for the latter. What a great era. I'm glad I was born in the 50s.

Vee said...

Beck, I haven't thought of that song in ages, and now I'm sure it will be ringing in my head for days! Novelty songs always make me think about Roger Miller, who had so many strangely fun ones (besides King of the Road): Do-Wacka-Do, You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd, Dang Me, Chug-a-lug. You share a lot of fun memories in your blog.

couzin frank said...

I must be old, haven't thought of PPE in year's! Believe I still have my old 45 player in attic.

Life's a Beach! said...

Jeanie, I flunked tap dance and ballet class! Vee, I've been singing it for days. I need a new tune like Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini! And Frank, my parents moved twice after we left home, so all the 'stuff' is gone. Wish I had some of it! But I did get some of the photos!