Saturday, November 15, 2008

Consider This, Senora

I just finished reading Consider This, Senora by Harriet Doerr. Actually, after the first few pages, I realized I'd read this book several years ago, but I didn't mind reading it again. It's about four American ex-pat's who build their casas on a mesa overlooking a tiny village in Mexico. This reading, I noticed an extremely poignant quote towards the end of the book:

Our lives are brief beyond our comprehension or our desire, she told herself. We drop like cottonwood leaves from trees after a single frost. The interval between birth and death is scarcely more than a breathing space. Tonight, in her house on a Mexican hill, Ursula Bowles listened to the five assembled in her sala and thought she heard the faint rustle of their days slipping by. She could see now that an individual life is, in the end, nothing more than a stirring of air, a shifting of light. No one of us, finally, can be more than that. Even Einstein. Even Brahms.

The quote is fairly depressing, but definitely a reminder that one life is but a short moment in time in the overall continuum of the universe. By the way, if you enjoy books concerning the life of ex-pat's in Mexico, it's definitely a good read. My all time fave on this subject is God and Mr. Gomez, a biography of the building of the author's (Jack Smith) Mexican casa in the Baja. I've also put a hold on Stones from Ibarra. I imagine I'll pick the book up, read a few lines, and remember I've already read it. But I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much the second time around!

Anyway, that quote was a definite note to self! So do consider this senora (and senor). Seize the day! And live your dreams now!

4 comments:

Vee said...

Beck, I'll add this to my to-be-read stack - that's lovely prose indeed. And Arms of the Angels is one of the most beautiful songs ever, IMO.

Sue said...

Beck - I read that book several years ago - found it too 'down' for my taste. Too vague, things I didn't really get the point of. Guess I'm not a very sophisticated reader because I know many others highly recommend it. I also picked up the Stones from Ibarra about the same time, and didn't like that one either. I know, I'm weird. But "God and Mr Gomez" - yup, right up my alley - I loved that book (and could relate to many parts of it too!).

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, I'm headed to the library today to pick up Stones from Ibarra. I'll let you know what I think. The characters in Consider This, Senora were a little vaguely drawn. God and Mr. Gomez was definitely the best of all of them for me. Great humor! Unfortunately, the library here doesn't have it because I wanted to read it again! I might have to break down and buy it! Horrors!
And I'm not really a very sophisticated reader. I tried a book club for awhile where all the women were trying to impress each other with their literary picks. I lasted about six months before I decided it was torture. :)

Isla Deb said...

Arms of the Angels is one of my all-time favorite songs. I had never heard this version and it brought tears to my eyes. I happened to see "City of Angels" (in which that song is used) with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan recently...hadn't seen it in years. What a tear-jerker.

The book sounds very interesting...I will put it on my list.