Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fruit of the Vine!

Well, not fruit from a vine, but fruit from tiny citrus trees!


Remember my fruit trees and how I had no clue what kind of citrus each one was? Well -- we were out doing yard work on Sunday and I decided the three trees needed trimming. The limbs on all three are headed down towards the ground rather than up towards the sky.

When I started trimming the low hanging limbs on the largest tree (all three are still what I would call five gallon trees), I found these hidden inside the branches. I left four more on the tree to see if they get any larger.

Yesterday, I cut one open and ate it for breakfast. It was a little like trying to cut the meat off a partridge leg with a knife and fork (been there, done that in a gourmet restaurant), but the grapefuit was surprisingly good! Our first edible bounty from the citrus trees!

4 comments:

Chrissy y Keith said...

Congratulations! We love all of our citrus. Your Grapefruit will probably not get any larger. They shoul dhave grown to their max around Christmas. I have given away a ton of fruit this year, and I still have tangerines falling and going to waste. Our lemon produce 2 leons last year, but this year she is heavy with fruit. I will probably make Lemoncello out of them all.

Life's a Beach! said...

Chrissy, I ran out and picked the other four. Looks like it's going to be a magnificent day! It's warm already. Maybe I'll spend the afternoon reading on the patio!

IslaZina said...

Wow! That's fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Yummy home-grown fruit!!!

Linda
Isla Chica