Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Catch 22

I schlepped into the sweatshop yesterday afternoon after spending most of the day Tuesday going over U.S. history, government, and geography. Reading an encyclopedia from the library, taking little quizzes on line, etc... By the way, I can now ace the U.S. Citizenship quiz. I thought it was some kind of misunderstanding that I'd been told to take the test in the first place since it's out of my subject area, but I thought maybe they were just looking for people who had a normal mastery of the subjects. K-12 social science? Usually, the tests are kind of a screening tool to eliminate people who really aren't suited for it and aren't terribly difficult.

Well, the test was definitely college level and mostly covered economic theory, geology, and literary analysis of works by authors from Plato to Fitzgerald to Sinclair (WHAT???). As an after thought, they included a tiny smattering of questions that actually pertained to what they said the test would be -- U.S. History, Civics, and Geography! But even those questions were brain twisters! They evidently were suffering from the misconception that they're recruiting from a local pool of Jeopardy winners and/or retired college professors. The test was one of those where you emerge and have absolutely no CLUE how you did! Honestly, most of the test was a complete guessing game. The company receptionist told me on the way out that most people were emerging from the building with puzzled shocked looks on their faces. I'm sure she noticed my deer in the headlights look!

If I'd had any sense at all, I would have pulled a Sarah Palin! LOL




But seriously, here's the catch. I was fairly bamboozled when I turned in the test. What happens if I got lucky and guessed enough right answers? Or if I got more answers right than all the other people sitting there scratching their heads (among other body parts). Several people just turned in their almost blank test sheets after trying to reason their way through the first page of questions, but I was afraid Personnel Lady would give me an F on effort and vote me off the employment island. But now I'm wondering if that wouldn't have been the prudent choice! A lot smarter than going through the misery of being assigned to a job where you feel like the biggest loser because you really don't know the subject matter?

Here's the punchline. I looked at my email late last night and there was an offer for the project. I guess now I'll find out?

6 comments:

Vee said...

I don't know whether to congratulate you or express my sympathies, Beck!

Life's a Beach! said...

Vee, I suspect sympathies may be in order if the test mirrors the project in any way. I could be setting myself up for a lot of double Prozac days! LOL

Sue said...

There are two scenarios: we think we know more than we do, or ... We know more than we think do.

I think you must fit the second scenario - congrats!!

Moongrl722 said...

Local pool of Jeopardy winners. LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was a test of more who would give it an honest effort and complete the task than what you know. They might not of even looked at your answers.
Good for you for sticking it out.

Life's a Beach! said...

Anonymous, they grade 'em because that's what the company does, but I'm betting the curve came into play! And Sue, I'm guessing I did better than I thought. I kind of have a knack for taking tests when they're multiple choice. There's a psychology to it.

I'm sure there will be other people in the same boat with me because there can't be that many wonks out there wanting to work for those kind of wages. Although . . . I worked alongside people with former careers in aeronautical engineering and military intelligence last year on simple projects. It's a bad economy!