Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dreams


I think I've been watching too much HGTV -- specifically Househunters International -- and the Travel Channel lately. I've started to accumulate a list of dream destinations. It seems like we don't have the time to explore them now since our vacations together are limited to a week, but it's my Bucket List for retirement a few years down the road. Here are some of the destinations I've bookmarked so far.

The Corn Islands off the coast of Nicaragua look like our kind of place. I love these photos from one of their travel sites.

A $5 lobster dinner on a Corn Island beach.


This beach on Little Corn truly looks like paradise!

Another destination in our sights is Panama. Specifically Bocas del Toro off the coast of Panama. Panama looks amazing. It wasn't really on my map until I saw Anthony Bourdain's special on Panama on the Travel Channel. Some friends had actually purchased a couple of homes in Panama, and that fact puzzled me until I saw that special and a feature on Househunters International. So Panama's definitely on that Bucket List for the near future! Love this video from YouTube!




This resort on Bocas del Toro has cottages out over the water. Heaven!
I've saved this VRBO listing as a favorite on my toolbar. Hopefully we'll get there!

For now, Isla Mujeres remains a quick and safe destination we both enjoy. Craig's looking forward to swimming with those whalesharks and doing some fishing in July. I'm looking forward to that warm July water when I can just swim for hours on end. Ahhhhhhh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, have looked at Little Corn as a destination! And now Panama is in my sites, but those will have to wait until after Belize!

Linda
Isla Chica

Life's a Beach! said...

Linda, Ambergris Caye's on my list for the shorter term. That's someplace we can get to in one day easily, but I keep putting it off. It seems to be exploding with development too, so better get there soon!

Sue said...

It will be interesting to see where you end up, you already live in a beautiful part of the US. Happy dreaming!

Life's a Beach! said...

Sue, our plan now is to downsize once Craig retires and move somewhere with slightly cooler summer temps. Probably just an area in the Southwest at a slightly higher elevation. And we want to travel outside the U.S. for several months at a time. Who knows, we might find someplace we love and just stay!

Isla Deb said...

That's one of my favorite shows, too, Beck. But it gets me when buyers look for a vacation home in the half million to a million dollar price range with all the bells and whistles. Yikes! I'd be happy with a tiny little fixer-upper cottage! To each his own, I guess.

Life's a Beach! said...

Deb, I saw a great one last week where people spent over a million on a ruin somewhere on the Italian coast. Six months later, they'd managed to make one room inhabitable. The place had no plumbing, indoor bathrooms, kitchen, etc... Brave (and perhaps demented) people.