Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An Uneventful Holiday

I feel like I need to throw something up (oops -- bad choice of words!) on the page, but I'm not inspired to do anything. Today was the deadline for feeling better or going to the doctor, but I think I've turned the corner. I found the over-the-counter remedy the doctor prescribed for Craig the last time he went in thinking he had bronchitis and needed an antibiotic. I've been taking the pills for two days and the cough is definitely better. No more rib-splitting coughing until my head explodes jags. Seriously, I wonder if I cracked a rib?

Labor Day weekend was a non-event. No barbecues, swims in the pool, restaurant trips, etc... A friend called several times to make sure I wasn't dead. Craig put some Adirondack chairs together and after witnessing my plight, ran out and got the regular flu shot on his way to pick up carryout. Saby, bored out of her mind, spent the weekend lying in her den.


I continued my summer book fest. All beach reads, all the time! Right now I'm reading The Condition, by Jennifer Haigh, and loving it. It's partly set on Cape Cod. Just finished The Deep Blue Sea for Beginners set on the island of Capri. Last week, I read Swimsuit by James Patterson and really didn't like it. I guess I expected a lighter murder mystery like Sail. The book was way too graphic/violent/serial-killer creepy for my taste. I decided to throw Killer Summer back in the library chute after reading Swimsuit. Maybe I'll save that one for Isla.



I think I'll take the plunge back into the world and run to Walmart today. The cupboard is bare and Craig's home for the rest of this week. (Well, not home, but in town!) I don't think I've driven my car since last Wednesday. I hope it still runs and doesn't cough and sputter like me!

5 comments:

Chrissy y Keith said...

Hola Beck, I am glad you are feeling better. I had swine flu back in june and kept a cough for about a month. But one day it just left.
Hey, I just finished a great book that you might like. You can probably find it at the library, that is where I got it. It is "Where the Heart is" my home in Mexico. Written by Elizabeth Borton de Travino. It is the true story of an American woman that meets and marries a Mexican man. It takes place in the 40-50's and is very interesting. I am going to get the one she wrote before that calls "My heart lies South" of how she met Luis Travino and how she accimilated into the Country.
I have been checking out most of my books from the library now days. I save myself tons of money, plus I never re-read them and they wont be moving to Mexico with us, so now I only buy books if it contains some information I will need in the future.

Life's a Beach! said...

Chrissy, thanks for that book recommendation. Tales of ex-pat's lives in Mexico are my favorite! I quit buying books about 10 years ago when our son went to college. I figure it saves me upwards of $50 every month. Not to mention I no longer feel obligated to read something I really don't like.

A friend suggested to me that what I have is some kind of flu. I thought I was so much better until I went out today. The heat and cough beat me up. I'm in for the day.

Ann said...

Glad you're feeling better! I had abusy weekend with the fair & amexhausted--still have lots to do to wrap it up! I've read the D.B. Frank book, but none of the others yet. I really like her books & Luanne Rice--she lives here in CT & sets many of her books here. I will look for the book Chrissy reccommended, too!

Vee said...

Wow, Beck, you're really having a tough time. Maybe you SHOULD see the doctor. Thanks to you and Chrissy for the reading recommendations.

Bennie said...

I hope you are feeling better by now. I know what you mean about leaving the car sitting so long. I hadn't left the house since I got back from South Dakota on Saturday night until yesterday.