Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nesting

I've been busy busy busy. Not sure WHAT has gotten into me, but I guess you could say I've been nesting! I've been pulling out pieces that I had intended to paint long ago, moving furniture, covering furniture . . . . I still need to make a trip to Michael's storage unit to pull out some of the pieces I have stored there, but this is what I've accomplished so far.


I brought this old gold-framed mirror home from Craig's mom's house after the funeral. I decided to shabby chic it so it would go better in the house. The problem with painting anything this time of year is heat, but this is a project I could do in the house! It turned out perfect for the entry hall.




I rescued this antique black wrought iron shelf from the top of my closest. A coat of white paint and it's now displaying pottery in my bedroom.


I've never done much with the dining room that I use as a living room. The fabric on the chairs from my house in Washington has annoyed me since we moved in. When I was out antiquing last week, one of the shop owners had some slipcovered pieces with the card of the man who'd done the work. I immediately began looking at fabrics with every intention of calling the guy immediately and getting those two chairs done, but I started channeling my Aunt Betty. When I was back for her memorial service, I noticed she had some slipcovers in the living room that looked like old chenille bedspreads. Well, I started wondering if she hadn't just tucked and pinned those herself. Maybe not, but I tried using an old beige chenille bedspread from the linen closet to cover the floral fabric on one of the chairs and I'm declaring it good enough for now! I like that shabby chic thrown together look anyway! I'll do the same to the other chair I moved to my bedroom once inspiration hits me.

I also moved my old pine dining room cupboard into the room to display the china I inherited from my grandmother and finally got some sheers hung in the room. I still have to get some stuff hung on the walls, but at least I'm headed in the right direction!



And one more chalkboard project for good measure. I hung this one in the back hall.



Next project -- pillows for the family room. Painting some old antique chairs and stools. Turning that little carryon makeup case into a photo memory box. Painting some outdoor pots and old garden pieces. Putting some adirondack chairs together and staining them. The list goes on. I'll keep you posted! At least I got started!

6 comments:

Ann said...

You are socreative! I have lots of ideas, but usually never seem to follow through on any! Lokks great! Maybe I'll push myself a little more since I don't think I'll be working!

Vee said...

Wow, Beck, I am impressed! You have a lovely home, very cozy. I love the idea of using the bedspread for a slipcover. I want to do our sofa. You have inspired me!

Isla Deb said...

You have a beautiful home, Beck! And I love the slipcovered chair! You need to go on "Design Star" on HGTV. I think you should work on that for next season. Ha!

Bennie said...

What can I say other than WOW. You have so much energy and talent. This room looks great.

Life's a Beach! said...

Thanks everyone! All I can say is Mrs. Busy is now sick. Lying on the couch moaning and wishing I had someone to go buy me some popsicles. Sore throat, cough, achy -- uh oh. Hope it's not the big HlN1. I doubt it, but I did hear the number of cases here in AZ tripled last week.

Moongrl722 said...

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon! I love what you've done. The slipcovers look awesome and the mirror is fabbbbbulous! It's not Spring Cleaning..it's Fall Sprucing UP? I seperated all of my sea glass by color last weekend and it's now displayed by color in various vases and glasses. I'll post a pic soon.