Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday Grab Bag

Tunnel's Beach, Kauai

I recently discovered you sometimes find good stuff in junk e-mail! I just completed a two-part secret shopping mission this week. A few months ago, Coldwater Creek sent out a blanket e-mail letter. I usually just delete that stuff without opening, but for some reason, I decided to open it. The letter was looking for customers who would be interested in participating in their secret shopper program. The shoppers would receive $100 to spend on clothes in the store, and they would get to keep their purchases. I sent an affirmative response and picked a store close to me. And I never expected to hear back from them. Much to my surprise, I received a letter back in a couple of weeks that I'd been chosen and would be receiving two $50 gift cards to be used on two separate shopper missions. Anyway, what a nice surprise! And I even lucked into a sale on my second visit! Anyway, pretty easy work if you can get it!


And speaking of easy work, has anyone else tried the recipe for the Chocolate Cake in a Mug? We tried it last night and it came out pretty good. It takes a few minutes to mix up and three minutes in the microwave to bake. We split it and topped it with ice cream for a fun dessert. Here's the recipe:

THREE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour (that's plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
some nuts (optional)
Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. EAT!
(This can serve 2 if you want to share!)

I decided next time, I'll mix the batter in a separate bowl and divide it into two coffee cups since my coffee mug overflowed. And the recipe is really enough for two servings. I suppose if you have some large cappuccino mugs, those would work better. Also, I'll try the mini-chocolate chips next time since the big ones sunk to the bottom of the cup. The beauty of the recipe is that you can satisfy a chocolate craving quickly and not have a huge cake around to wreck the diet!

3 comments:

Ann said...

Can't wait to try this! Great way to satisfy a chocolate craving...

IslaZina said...

We've got no chocolate chips, not that kind of baking chocolate. But sounds yummy. I had a Betty Crocker single serving cinnamon swirl out of the mirowave last night. Yeah, Soriana!
I was a mystery shopper before moving to Isla and have done a Planet Hollywood shop here. It's great "chump change" aka mad money. I do internet surveys in the morning and that gets a few gift cards too. It it's fun, I'm all for it. Right now, I'm spinning on Winster. Let me know if you want to join me!

Pam in Issy said...

Hey Beck! Was good to see Mike's pic. Chris' birthday's today (he and Greta went to the Seahawk game) and he and Bret were reminiscing about Mike Friday night when we were out celebrating. Glad he is enjoying and happy with Ecco! Bret gave up on golf management for the moment with all the uncertainties and is working at Costco Corporate in membership services. LOVE your blog, pictures. You are so in your element :o)