Friday, May 17, 2013

Life in the Museum

That's what we're calling it now.  Life in the museum.  We're up at 5 a.m. to begin maid service maintaining the museum and wiping away all evidence of human habitation.

Yesterday I was having a moment.  After going through this routine for three days with no showings, I decided it was useless and threw myself on the couch to nurse my sore throat/cold.  Why do this crap if no one's arriving for the museum tour?

With books, laptop, mags, kleenexes, candy wrappers, and the remains from lunch strewn about, I was dozing in a Coricidin HBP haze when the doorbell rang.  I couldn't answer because I didn't have my tooth in.  (Remember the implant story?)  Craig answered and I heard the voice of real estate.  I'm in the neighborhood with clients and can't get in touch with your realtor.  Would you mind . . . .

Oh God.  20 minutes!  20 minutes! 

Craig grabbed the vacuum and I manned the paper towels and cleaning bottles.  The doorbell rang again and it was our realtor.  She lives directly across the street and her husband had sounded the alarm.  There's a man at their door!  Do they have a showing?  She grabbed the paper towels and granite spray and told me to start turning the lights on all over the house.

Lights.  Camera.  Action!

Now it's 7:00 a.m. and we've already tidied the front wing of the house (no one lives there and we're looking to ditch about a 1000 sq. ft. with this move) and moved on to laundry.  The museum must be ready to open by 9 a.m.

Craig's become obsessed with the little yellow palo verde flowers that drop from the trees in the park behind and blow into the pool. Yesterday he was trying to determine if the Bumpuses were getting the brunt of the flower fall into their pool.  He peaked over the 6 foot wall and oh my God!  There was Mrs. Bumpus in a white bikini splayed in a lounger by the pool with those little suntanning booth goggles on trying to maximize the skin damage before she flies home on the tail end of the snowbird migration.  He came back into the house chuckling.  We had no clue she was still there!  Love those quiet neighbors.

On that note, here are some photos of other people sizzling in the sun on a warm white beach in the tropics.

Oh to be this young again!

I spy a pigeon enjoying a Dos Equis with his coconut.


On an end note, got crack?


Lynda Bogart Stilley said...

Oh my God, that was hysterical... you are good. Didn't realize your house is for sale; my ex-realtor ears perked up. Looking forward to the next installment!

Life's a Beach! said...

Yep Linda. It's 7 a.m. and we're getting ready for the 10:30 a.m. showing today. Last house we sold was in 2006. We were told to leave our house for 2 days and it sold in less than 24 hours in a bidding war. Definitely a different market now! Hope someone puts us out of our misery soon!

went coastal said...

We went thru that last summer...the feedback comments drove us nuts. (Well, we can't change the location,Why are you looking here? Sorry you don't like our refrigerator, we are selling a house, appliances optional. etc). Our realtor was overly optimistic about price and time on the market, but it was a great feeling to pare down and simplify & have it over with. (You & Lynda both featured "lights camera action" this week ;) Great Minds Think Alike! )

Life's a Beach! said...

Ronda, we've had one bizarre offer where a buyer wanted us to take a contingency that if her kids came in mid-July and didn't like it, she was out of the contract. Maybe she should wait until her kids arrive to shop for a house? Makes me wonder who these people are! LOL

jeanie said...

I can totally relate Beck. We sold our house in the city in 2008. I will never sell a house again. Unless someone puts me in a home this will be my final address.

Life's a Beach! said...

Jeanie, we moved to this area for the J.O.B. Now that Craig's retired, we're hoping this will be the final move. On to greener pastures. : )