Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Saturday Staycation

Instead of taking a long daytrip on Saturday, we decided to stay right here in the valley. Craig wanted to eat at a Taco Time on the way to my favorite antique mall up in Mesa. I decided I could lunch at the Taco Time (it was our favorite Mexican fast food restaurant in Seattle) in exchange for a few hours of antiquing.

Long story short -- when we got there, the Taco Time was out of business, and my favorite antique mall had just opened as a Goodwill Store. Two typical signs of our thriving Phoenix economy.


We saw this cute little Mexican taco stand in old downtown Mesa, but didn't stop. We opted instead for a Serrano's restaurant where we both had the Saturday special -- chicken tamales in tomatillo sauce. Frankly, I wasn't expecting much, but they were fantastic! So great that I didn't even think about taking photos of my meal. They were gone in about 60 seconds! Serrano's is a Mexican chain with locations all over the Phoenix area, so we may have to try them again on Saturday for those tamales!

We ended up finding two new antique malls way out in east Mesa that were great! They were located about a block apart, so I spent a few hours of blissful browsing. Craig made a quick swing through both of them and then I'm not sure what he did? I was too busy having fun to notice!


Look what the carnival dropped off!


Attention Judy! Another globe. I think you need to plan a fall trip to Phoenix!


Tex is ready for the rodeo!


I remember the Howdy Doody song from childhood, but I can't actually remember watching the show. Maybe I was scared of Howdy! I'm sorry -- he's creepy!


Where's the beach? Where's the beach?

I should have bought the album just for this cover!


Ick. The things they sell at antique malls!


And here's another Howdy. Paging Mr. Doody. We need help!

This is supposed to be a cat? I think it's a Scaredy Cat!


Now that's debatable! But I guess my mother thought Jello was healthy in the 60's?


Early multi-cultural family.


I loved this painting so much, I bought it! The color's are so soft!


Loved this shabby chic booth. Their main shop's in Phoenix, so guess I'll be visiting!


Perfect gift for Saby, but she's not wading through many puddles.
She might enjoy dressing up in rubber booties!


Attention! Three open positions in the Red Hat Society! (Do they REALLY wear these hats to meetings?)


Okay. That's just too much information!


And as always, more seaglass fodder!


P. S. Don't tell Craig, but I think I may head back out that way today. Actually, I doubt he cares if he doesn't have to suffer through it again! : )

3 comments:

Katalina said...

Wonderful photos! So entertaining! One of my childhood heroines was on the Howdy Doody show - Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring - she began my lifelong fascination with all things non-white.

Isla Deb said...

Yeah, I'm not much of a Howdy Doody fan, either...and that wicker cat thing really IS weird. Thanks for the tour!

Unknown said...

Makes me homesick to go through Goodwill and such back home. But in Honduras we have "new" stores that sell stuff from the US that no one wants, and it's almost like Goodwill. Except for the outrageous prices. Still fun for browsing.