Monday, September 27, 2010

Breakfast at Joe's

First I need to add, Breakfast at Joe's is not to be confused with Breakfast at Tiffany's!

Once in a blue moon, Craig talks me into going out for breakfast. When Michael was growing up, he and Craig always celebrated the week with a boys' breakfast out on Sunday mornings. Now Craig settles for a bowl of granola unless we're on vacation. So when I mentioned I had a craving for pancakes on Saturday night, he leaped on it. Pancakes at home wouldn't do! We were going out.

What better place for breakfast than Joe's Farm Grill! (We probably would have ended up there for lunch anyway.) It's close and we figured we could avoid the Sunday line if we arrived early. We pulled into the parking lot at 8:20 a.m. and sure enough, there was no line. I'd guess in Arizona, most people are either in church or sleeping it off on Sunday mornings. (Just kidding, but not?) Back in Washington State, the breakfast joints were packed all morning on Sunday's, but that state was not known for its church attendance and believers.

Craig ordered the Huevos ala Joe's Farm Grill which was scrambled eggs with pulled pork, crispy tortillas and beans.

I ordered the pancakes with two sausage links so Craig could also get his pancake craving fulfilled. As expected, it was all good! But next time (who knows when that day will come), I'd probably order the fruit with the pancakes.

On our way back to the car, I stopped to get a photo of the grapefruits. If I had longer arms -- well you can guess . . . . They have a produce stand in the row of shops, but I figured they wouldn't be open yet.



We drove out through the neighborhood, Agritopia. When we were moving to Arizona, we looked at these houses. We needed a finished product, and the only completed specs backed into the new San Tan freeway. Besides that, I thought the name was fruity. Agritopia? The homes were built to mimic the Craftsmen style of the early 1900's, complete with retro style kitchen cabinets, refrigerators, etc....

We look wistfully at these now because we love not only the bungalow styles, but also the large front porches, narrower streets, garages in the alleys, and small town feel. If, and that's a BIG if, we ever decided to downsize and stay in the Phoenix area, I might just want a smaller home in this neighborhood. After all, we could just stroll over to Joe's Farm Grill in the evenings and the neighborhood has its own community pool, so there wouldn't be that to maintain when we traveled.



This house is perfect for fall. It almost made me forget it was 105 degrees out and blowing hot dry dusty air.




This front porch with the hedges reminds me of the house across the street when I was growing up in Oswego, Kansas. I loved sitting in their porch swing in the evenings watching neighbors and the town pass by.

Oh well, it's a pipe dream, but something to consider if our house ever regains its value and we would decide to downsize and stay in Arizona!


P.S. Or, the more reasonable alternative is to just sell the house in Arizona, go buy the real old bungalow in a little town somewhere with a decent summer, use it as a home base/summer retreat, and spend the winters renting S.O.B. (south of the border). By jove, I think I've got a plan? Or at least another one of many. : )

3 comments:

Ann said...

Those houses look cute, but don't look like they fit in AZ. Two houses would be my dream, too! Esp. if one is SOB!

Moongrl722 said...

I love those houses! The big porches do it for me. Your b'fast looks awesome, too!

Sue said...

Yup, I'm a sucker for porches and terraces - they just send a great vibe. After havinv two homes for almost 9 years, I really don't like it - too confusing and expensive. Of course, if money was no object I'd have lots of homes in different places with full-time staff. That's my pipe dream.