Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kash Keken

We're still remembering all those moments from our Isla Mujeres trip in July! One morning while we still had the golfcart, we left early to hunt seaglass along the malecon and Playa Media Luna in El Centro.

On the way to Seaglass Central, we stopped at the new bakery/sandwich shop on Medina to pick up some coffee and rolls. The pastries looked beautiful displayed in the glass cases. Craig had a large cinnamon type roll and it was really good. I'm trying to remember now just exactly what I chose, but it quickly turned into one of those cases where I ate the icing off the top and pitched the dough below. In other words, it wasn't noteworthy.

Since we were staying out in La Gloria and I'd been hitting the local panaderias every evening and getting a whole bag of fresh from the oven cookies and rolls for 26 pesos, the prices here in town seemed astronomical. But I do wish we'd returned one day at noon because the sandwiches they were making looked very good! Next trip!


After wearing ourselves out with our stoop, squat, scoop it up beach routine, we piled back in the cart with our bags of seaglass and headed out the bayside road.


We really hadn't made plans yet for the day, but developed sudden hunger pains when we saw this sign! Kash Keken! In all our trips to Isla, we'd never stopped there. It was a little too early for lunch -- before 11 a.m., but we decided to pull over and investigate since they appeared to be setting up for the day.

The sign says it all. I really wanted to try some of their ribs, but those weren't quite ready yet.

Wonder what the correct spelling is? Kahs Keken or Kash Keken?

The guys were manning the woodfire and there appeared to be meat cooking! I assumed they'd have nothing ready to sell, but I was wrong!

Plenty of pollos were ready to go, so we decided to take one home for lunch with all the trimmings. A whole barbequed chicken, slaw, a stack of tortillas, and some liquified beans. Personally, I'd rather substitute all slaw for the soupy bean concoction because I'm just not a fan. Something about liquefied beans rolls my stomach over, but Craig always tries it.

Back at the condo, I mashed up some guacamole and this was the finished product!

Yummmmm! Next trip, we must try the ribs!

By the way, sometimes Craig reads my blog while he's eating lunch and then comes home to inform me that I've already posted that a month ago! I checked back through the blog rather thorooughly, but if I already reviewed Kash Keken, just chalk it up to menopausal brain or dopamine consumption. : )

7 comments:

Linda said...

Why'd you go and post those pastries? Now I have to go to the bakery!!!

Linda
Isla Chica

jeanie said...

That slaw looks really good. I never take the bean stuff or the cold spaghetti at the other chicken places. I really like the pickled onions though and they give me lots. Great for sandwiches.

Moongrl722 said...

I thought that 'Kash Keken' was maybe the Mayan version of 'Cash Cab' and now I'm a tad bit disappointed. ;) Of course, they'd ask the questions in Mayan or Spanish, so I'd just say 'si!si!'.

The chicken looks delish!!! Hope you won lots of money on the Kash Keken!

Ann said...

Another place to try! On the chance of a duplicate blog--I'd love reading it again! I started keeping a notebook with a list by the day of what I post ( not that I look back often!

Isla Deb said...

Haha! Well, we menopausal women have to stick together and I will vouch for you that you didn't post it before...even if you did.

Michele in Playa said...

Dear lord that looks good! Husband is on the island now. Maybe he will bring some back to Playa for me!!

Life's a Beach! said...

Linda, I had the same compulsion! Jeanie, the leftovers went to waste which is always what happens with all those great places to eat on Isla.
Jana -- LOL! If I remember right, there is a lottery ticket place north of there on the other side of the street.
Ann and Deb, I really need to make a cheat sheet! But hopefully, people who look at this blog won't remember any better than I do!
Michele, the food I'm absolutely craving right now is Milagro's pizza. It's straight south on Medina before you get to the first colonia. It rates right up there with the best pizza I've ever had!