Friday, September 17, 2010

The Endless Summer


I don't know why I tease myself with this surf song when Phoenix is still blazing hot and dry! The summer of 2010 seems endless. I guess that's a good thing if you live in northern climes, but not so much in Arizona. Just when I thought we'd turned the corner into the 90's, the temps popped back up again. According to the weatherman, we're running almost 10 degrees higher than the average temps for this time in September.

The 'new' has worn off Phoenix summers and the heat's really wearing on me. I was gone for most of the month of July to Isla Mujeres and Kansas, but it still feels like the summer that just won't go away! I'm also missing the rain. Supposedly, it's been a good monsoon season, but I've only heard one heavy rain in the middle of the night. It's been a muggy parched summer in our neighborhood, and I'm wondering why I'm seeing these strange little things all over my courtyard?


The mosquitos have also beeen at record-breaking levels this summer. I think it has a lot to do with the watering of grass and poor drainage in certain areas of our neighborhood. They've been really vicious, swarming us the minute the garage door opens. I've gone through a can of Off and a can of Autan from Mexico in the last month. Now I'm using an imitation of Avon's Skin So Soft that I picked up on sale at Target. According to news reports, six people in the valley have died this summer of West Nile, and the infection rate's at an all time high. One thing that strikes me is that municipalities in Mexico where dengue's a problem go door to door spraying. Nothing's been done in our neighborhood to combat the bumper crop of mosquitos. I think some cities in our area have been fogging, but nada here!

The only plus I can think of right now is that these 100-something degree temps are keeping the pool warmer than normal, which will end up extending the season. We've been covering the pool at night and leaving it on to build up heat during the day. Then we take dips in the large hot tub (pool) every night. With the light on in the pool and a soundtrack playing in the background, it feels almost psychedelic with the blue dancing lights from the waves in the pool reflecting off the walls. Saby runs around frantically staring up at the sky trying to figure out if those lights are from her spaceship signaling its approach. I guess it's the little things that amuse! : )


Have a nice cool weekend! We'll be sweltering here!

5 comments:

Isla Deb said...

Boy, I can relate, Beck. It's still really hot down here in Texas, as well. I can't wait for the summer to be over. Your pool looks beautiful with all the lights!

Vee said...

Love the photo of the pool. Wish we had one - we've just broken the record for number of 90+ degree days. We are at least supposed to cool off tommorrow into the high 80s. But I'm not complaining - beats the cold any day!

drgeo said...

You must have been standing on the Bumpuses' roof to get that great shot of your pool!

Ann said...

We are at the opposite end of the spectrum--I heard that in Eastern CT they reported frost 2 mornings ago in Canterbury! I just walked outside & even though the sun is out, it's downright chilly!

Katalina said...

Hey Beck, I've discovered a product that really helps - plastic coils in the shape of bracelets that are filled with citronella and other herbs, purchased for 30 pesos each at local pharmacy. I'm using 4 of them, one on each wrist and ankle, and I'm amazed how well they work, being nontoxic. Dengue mosquitoes are out here, so it's important. I feel for you! Hot here too!